Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Well there is your business opportunity. Resist that pressure and prove that you can squeeze the same functionality plus a bit more in a quarter of the resources.
Who would pay for that when they get adequately working alternatives faster and cheaper?

The Following User Says Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Berlin
I can confirm that!
But that's the game! No pain, no gain!

You have a point, especially about the economic pressure. You are pressurized to churn feature fast and do not have time to optimize. Not only for resource consumption but also for security. There is also another factor you forgot to mention: laziness.

Well there is your business opportunity. Resist that pressure and prove that you can squeeze the same functionality plus a bit more in a quarter of the resources.
there you have it! Small fast and easy. With nowadays everything's being possible that's what I want. Who really needs all those functions? Who really needs yet another flashlight app? Who need's those tons of apps anyways.

Small means also more secure. You don't have to secure functions which don't exist.

I remember the times you'd load a game from tape (and also the times you came back with your coffee just to realize, it didn't work...). But I remember also the time with a 286 and it was booting and ready a lot faster than now!

Wouldn't that be the niche? Just because everyone else is too lazy
and none even knows how to optimize no more?

And if small's not enough, heck it's linux fell free to add... .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alfredquack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
Who would pay for that when they get adequately working alternatives faster and cheaper?
people who'd buy apple?! It's not more functions, nor faster, nor more mega of whatever, its ease of use!

And isn't that what sfos was made for?

The Following User Says Thank You to alfredquack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I gotta say, not a very appealing business opportunity... Hardware is getting cheaper every year, and consumers seem to like getting new features every fifteen minutes or so on their devices. Does it really matter that a single app now requires an entire gigabyte of RAM, if that gigabyte is dirt cheap and the app only required a handful of people working for a few weeks to produce?
It still matters in many cases - one example is power consumption. Battery capacity is not growing much if at all and even with more power efficient hardware a badly written program that results in needless 100% CPU utilization at all time while it is running will make the device run out of power very quickly.

Optimized software can also be a significant advantage if there is strong competition between different similar applications - if all apps are slow and resource intensive but one is fast, responsive and with low requirements while still providing comparable functionality, people are much more likely to choose it rather than the competition.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
It still matters in many cases
Hey, I'm right with ya (and Pichlo) on this. It's just that, I honestly don't see how you can sell "efficiency" in the current market. I remember that Samsung had that series of ads targeting the battery life of the iPhone (and showing people sitting next to outlets while charging their devices), but I don't recall that making much of a dent in sales.

Right now, everything seems to be targeted at getting the products out at lightning speed with just as much functionality as you can cram into them. Apple at least puts a premium on user experience (and therefore tends to lag the Android world in both hardware and software features), but nobody really bothers about efficiency. Certainly, selling inefficient hardware and software is still highly profitable...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Let's see this from another angle.

It's 2015. MeeGo is NOT dead. In fact, MeeGo is #3 OS.
Where is MeeGo Now? What features does it have? Who are MeeGo users? Who is using it? How free is it?

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Last edited by tortoisedoc; 2015-11-22 at 20:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by alfredquack View Post
people who'd buy apple?! It's not more functions, nor faster, nor more mega of whatever, its ease of use!
People who buy Apple do it mostly because of brand. Some because of very good finishing of the products. Apple is in situation where they have established themselves into premium segment and have almost limitless resources to optimize both HW and SW. If Jolla goes belly up, I guess it's the direction I'll also take, even if I just hate the overly simplified, inefficient and stupid UI (as well as many other things...). But it works, device is relatively lightweight and there are use cases where apps built and optimized for certain hardware makes life quite a bit easier. However, with limited resources and limited time it's probably not the way for startup being fully optimized in every aspect of HW and SW from the day one. Even Apple didn't do it like that.

The Following User Says Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ukraine
Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
It's 2015. MeeGo is NOT dead.
But does it have a future?

Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
In fact, MeeGo is #3 OS.
Have you considered WP? Tizen? BTW, they have a future.

Originally Posted by generatorglukoff View Post
But does it have a future?

Have you considered WP? Tizen? BTW, they have a future.

No, in this reality WP is not #3; Tizen does NOT exist; and so doesnt Jolla. Since MeeGo is not dead. Also, Nokia is still alive. So, where does it stand, MeeGo, now?

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 140 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Andromeda Galaxy
I dislike Apple and Android (other words F@*K apple and android)...
SFOS will prevail !!... I fully understand that it is not looking good for them in a apple/droid dominated environment (world full of simple minded sheeps)..

Yes Apple is a good product and droids are ok devices... But we all know the power of the devices we have and use... So once again Jolla will Prevail..

i,m.just trying to stay positive... And i really really don,t want to use ( it feels like selling out) a apple or a droid.....

kind Regards J.Neutron(just my thoughts)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimmy neutron For This Useful Post:

Tags
brainfiction, brainstorming, fiction, jolla or iphone, neigh!, unicorn device