Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
I reckon the same applies here. Swapping out the OS, also given that is an explicit option for these devices, should have no influence on the warranty on the hardware. You might lose factory warranty, but in EU law, the shop were you bought it is responsible for warranty anyway.
Exactly, that is called the European Product Liability Act and it is more thorough than any manufacturer warranties.

In fact I think most cases fall down to that even when people mistakenly think they were covered by warranty.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
Sorry if I've missed it, but there are obviously hundreds of posts and I can't find out what's the latest.

With the XZs now added to open devices

A new series of phones, in particular a new compact phone

What is the real-world status of sailfish on Sony?
I haven't seen a single official press release nor news since the original announcement. This info will definitely impact what's my next device, ironically the new "Nokia" flagship should be announced soon.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to optimaxxx For This Useful Post:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Exactly, that is called the European Product Liability Act and it is more thorough than any manufacturer warranties.

In fact I think most cases fall down to that even when people mistakenly think they were covered by warranty.
Faults present when you bought are covered for 2 years, however
First six months the manufacturer/shop carries the evidence part of proofing it was not faulty when you bought.
Last 18 months YOU carry the burden of proving it was faulty from when you bought.
It is, liability act, not a full warranty.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
From XDA

"The company does not want to force its users to use a custom recovery install updates."

Thats going to be interresting, wonder if they will manage to enable flashing on a locked bootloader...
Or, that will be a showstopper.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Great progress by Jolla. I'm almost ready to buy Xperia X. I really hope they can find I way to get rid of the 8mp camera limitation in Sailfish Xperia X and unleash all 23mp. I want all the goodies I pay for

Last edited by latency; 2017-07-02 at 06:13.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to latency For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Its also a 64-bit device. I don't know what's the current status of 64-bit devices now among ported devices, but getting SFOS ported to this architecture is a major success and we should not underestimate it. When done, it should open many current devices for all of us through the ports.

I do wonder if the port for Xperia X would be made available as a community port image / sources as well. That would allow for curious user to test SFOS before getting full version of it. If not, porters would probably know or would get help to get SFOS running on X Compact and other variants.
I'd also be curious about app compatibility for any SFOS apps with binary components - will we as developers need to recompile everything for this device? What about apps like CuteSpot, which depends on a third-party library (libspotify) which might not be already compiled for ARM64?

Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
As for the pure ports, if you don't need Android stack, the current main problem is the absence of text prediction (jolla-xt9 is proprietary). So, would be great to get someone to work on it and get open-source solution for text predictions. Port from Ubuntu Touch, for example?
I was working on a keyboard a while back; I should dust off that code and see what can be done with it.

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Check out OKboard if you haven't already - continuous input /predictive keyboard for Sailfish that is fully open. I can't remember whether it does predictions for normal typing (I think it currently uses xt9 for that) but it clearly could, because it does its own predictions for continuous input. That's something open versions of Android are missing BTW - if you want CI on Android you have to use something like Swype or Swiftkey.
I've been testing OKboard on Jolla and on OPX (third-party port without xt9). On the OPX it's pretty terrible; not just for the lack of predictions in normal typing, but because it tries to use xt9's predictions bar for its own predictions when swiping, meaning that without xt9 there are no predictions whatsoever. And no ability to correct a word; you have to swipe and hope you nailed it.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
May I ask where have you seen it is from a chinese company ?
Alien Dalvik has always been presented here as a product of Myriad, which seems to be a french/swiss company: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myriad_Group

I'm not sure, if that was true, that Jolla could afford maintaining two OS's at a time : Sailfish on one hand, and the Android runtime on the other hand.
Thanks, it is just my ignorance. The Chinese was for the production, i guess.
Will correct my previous post.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
I was working on a keyboard a while back; I should dust off that code and see what can be done with it.

I've been testing OKboard on Jolla and on OPX (third-party port without xt9). On the OPX it's pretty terrible; not just for the lack of predictions in normal typing, but because it tries to use xt9's predictions bar for its own predictions when swiping, meaning that without xt9 there are no predictions whatsoever. And no ability to correct a word; you have to swipe and hope you nailed it.
I am on OPX as well and it has been a great motivator to get things working natively (without Android) and without proprietary add-ons.

Re executable arch: no idea, but we'll probably learn soon.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
I can't confirm the above - which version are you using? I get predictions in the bar without xt9 installed (see here).

Also I wouldn't describe it as "pretty terrible" - I was using it without xt9 on Fairphone 2, and found it to be useful. Then Eber42 added some fixes for different screen sizes, and it became even more useful with better predictions.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x