Notices

So, about not being able to use a Gizmo number as a callback number in DialCentral...

Does DialCentral do anything different when it tries to use a Gizmo SIP number as a callback number (vs. a landline or cell number)?

The ? icon next to "Phone Type" when setting up a new forwarding phone in the Google Voice web interface has the following to say:

Choose a phone type for the phone you're forwarding calls made to your Google number:

* Mobile. SMS will only be sent to phones listed as Mobile.
* Work
* Home
* Gizmo. Forwarding to Gizmo won't work properly if you don't select Gizmo as your phone type. Learn how to add a Gizmo number
When I set this up some time ago, I selected Gizmo -- that's why it works at all. I removed the Gizmo entry and added it again to no avail.

But, shouldn't using a 747-xxx-xxxx Gizmo number require something different to be done in DialCentral? I mean, you can't call a 747 Gizmo number from a landline right? It's SIP-only?
Or is DialCentral just making a selection made available to it from GoogleVoice?

Anyway, let me know if this totally has nothing to do with anything, and sorry for the bother if I'm way off base.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by jiiv View Post
Have flasher-3.5, will travel.
I'll be testament to that! Saved my butt the other night.

Have Flasher will travel reads the card of a man....
He saved my phone with a line of commands

Oh Jiiv, Jiiv, where do you roam?
We need you quickly to resuscitate our phones...

(I bet alot of the young guys have no idea what I'm talking about...)

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by epicepoch View Post
So, about not being able to use a Gizmo number as a callback number in DialCentral...

Does DialCentral do anything different when it tries to use a Gizmo SIP number as a callback number (vs. a landline or cell number)?

The ? icon next to "Phone Type" when setting up a new forwarding phone in the Google Voice web interface has the following to say:

When I set this up some time ago, I selected Gizmo -- that's why it works at all. I removed the Gizmo entry and added it again to no avail.

But, shouldn't using a 747-xxx-xxxx Gizmo number require something different to be done in DialCentral? I mean, you can't call a 747 Gizmo number from a landline right? It's SIP-only?
Or is DialCentral just making a selection made available to it from GoogleVoice?

Anyway, let me know if this totally has nothing to do with anything, and sorry for the bother if I'm way off base.
I sort of am just making a selection that is already available.

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Ponte Vedra, FL, USA
Originally Posted by epage View Post
Thank you for your thorough analysis. The difficult part is I am not seeing anything immediately obvious in my source code or in the GV pages. On top of that, I have not been able to use with Gizmo account with GV or Dialcentral for months making this a situation I can't really test. I do know sipgate offers free numbers and has been working well for me...

Is there an adventure some person out there that has this issue, feels comfortable with the command line, and feels comfortable changing 1-2 lines of Python?
Oh, dear...this doesn't sound good at all for getting DialCentral working again. I'm a very techie person who is very used to the command line, but not so much in Linux and I'm definitely not a developer/programmer. I specialize in implementing and even supporting the hard work of others (haha), which can be quite a job in and of itself.

But what am I missing here, because in thinking about it I don't seem to be too bad off. Please correct me if I'm missing something obvious. I can make a call from my N810 (or PC) by simply going through the Google Voice website. If I want the call to be forwarded to my home number, I can do that or I can have it forwarded to my Gizmo SIP and use my N810 for the call. Receiving calls on my N810 through Gizmo works fine. Sending and receiving SMS messages through DialCentral works fine. The only thing I can't do is use DialCentral for dialing out (I have to go to the Google Voice website). So, at worst, I'm doing about two more screen taps dialing out through the Google Voice website versus DialCentral, right?

Okay, what am I missing? Why doesn't everyone just do it by way of the Google Voice website versus a 3rd party dialer like DialCentral? I have to be missing something here.

-- Chris

Originally Posted by internetpilot View Post
Oh, dear...this doesn't sound good at all for getting DialCentral working again. I'm a very techie person who is very used to the command line, but not so much in Linux and I'm definitely not a developer/programmer. I specialize in implementing and even supporting the hard work of others (haha), which can be quite a job in and of itself.

But what am I missing here, because in thinking about it I don't seem to be too bad off. Please correct me if I'm missing something obvious. I can make a call from my N810 (or PC) by simply going through the Google Voice website. If I want the call to be forwarded to my home number, I can do that or I can have it forwarded to my Gizmo SIP and use my N810 for the call. Receiving calls on my N810 through Gizmo works fine. Sending and receiving SMS messages through DialCentral works fine. The only thing I can't do is use DialCentral for dialing out (I have to go to the Google Voice website). So, at worst, I'm doing about two more screen taps dialing out through the Google Voice website versus DialCentral, right?

Okay, what am I missing? Why doesn't everyone just do it by way of the Google Voice website versus a 3rd party dialer like DialCentral? I have to be missing something here.

-- Chris
And the problem is even more limited to Making outbound calls through Dialcentral with a Gizmo number. If you use a landline, cellphone, or something else like a sipgate number (free) then there is no issue.

Dialcentral was originally written to provide calling arbitrary numbers which GrandCentral/GoogleVoice did not have support for within the UI back then. its sort of grown over time to make other things convenient with a finger friendly interface. Its kind of mixed of whether it is better to use Dialcentral or the website. I hope The One Ring will close that gap and make it an obvious choice. Unfortunately I had my trip last weekend, all these bug reports for Dialcentral and some for Quicknote such that I haven't been able to get much done on it. I am taking a break from main development to try and get some tests done to make my development more efficient (and to help debug when people have issues)

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
my remaining gizmo credit was cancelled last week (it expires after one year if you forget to add to it before then, so mark that in your calendars!), and since i bought new credit this week i've been unable to call out through the gvoice website using gizmo as callback #, which worked great until last week.
none of my own settings were changed. (i don't have DC installed since i don't use sms.)
looks to me like google is messing up the software (?)

Originally Posted by epage View Post
And the problem is even more limited to Making outbound calls through Dialcentral with a Gizmo number. If you use a landline, cellphone, or something else like a sipgate number (free) then there is no issue.
Actually, the only functionality I now get out of DialCentral is SMS, Contacts, and History. Even when I set the callback number to be my mobile phone or my home phone instead of Gizmo, the call does not go through and does not show up in the history. If I use the Google Voice website, I can successfully use Gizmo, home, or mobile as my callback number without issue. Something definitely seems broken (or changed) between what DialCentral is giving and what Google Voice wants.

Is everyone else reporting problems in this thread only having problems with Gizmo callback or all callback #'s like me (only when using DialCentral)?

epage, please don't view my previous post as "what is DialCentral good for?" I just re-read my post and realize it might sound negative against the app and that we should just use the Google Voice website -- that wasn't what I intended to communicate. I really like DialCentral and would prefer to use it rather than the Google Voice website. My question/statements were meant to be more like "If DialCentral isn't working for me at the moment, am I missing a lot by just using the Google Voice website as a temporary solution/work-around?" I hope I didn't offent you, as that was not my intention.

I wish I could be more help with this. I'm use to being more of a solution provider than "whiney customer" (if you can call me a "customer" when I'm using a free app!).

-- Chris

Originally Posted by wesgreen View Post
my remaining gizmo credit was cancelled last week (it expires after one year if you forget to add to it before then, so mark that in your calendars!), and since i bought new credit this week i've been unable to call out through the gvoice website using gizmo as callback #, which worked great until last week.
none of my own settings were changed. (i don't have DC installed since i don't use sms.)
looks to me like google is messing up the software (?)
Google acquiring Gizmo is a recent thing, right? I think they're messing with the whole thing right now and about to merge everything into Google Voice instead of it being two separate things. That's probably when they'll start charging for dialing out on Google Voice as well.

So far, I can still do everything just fine from the Google Voice website, no matter what callback number I choose. So far being the key words in that sentence!

-- Chris

The Following User Says Thank You to internetpilot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ mid gulf coast florida
Actually, the only functionality I now get out of DialCentral is SMS, Contacts, and History. Even when I set the callback number to be my mobile phone or my home phone instead of Gizmo, the call does not go through and does not show up in the history. If I use the Google Voice website, I can successfully use Gizmo, home, or mobile as my callback number without issue. Something definitely seems broken (or changed) between what DialCentral is giving and what Google Voice wants.

Is everyone else reporting problems in this thread only having problems with Gizmo callback or all callback #'s like me (only when using DialCentral)?
-- Chris
Only having a problem with Gizmo here..Calls that I have routed through my Mobile work just fine and show up in the Recent History in DialCentral.

epage, please don't view my previous post as "what is DialCentral good for?" I just re-read my post and realize it might sound negative against the app and that we should just use the Google Voice website -- that wasn't what I intended to communicate. I really like DialCentral and would prefer to use it rather than the Google Voice website. My question/statements were meant to be more like "If DialCentral isn't working for me at the moment, am I missing a lot by just using the Google Voice website as a temporary solution/work-around?" I hope I didn't offent you, as that was not my intention.

I wish I could be more help with this. I'm use to being more of a solution provider than "whiney customer" (if you can call me a "customer" when I'm using a free app!).

-- Chris

Don't worry, I jusst added my statement for clarification. I didn't want someone coming onto this thread and thinking "OH NO, Dialcentral is completely broken". I guess I didn't catch that it was broken for all callbacks for your and not just gizmo. The fun thing is google rolls out updates incrementally meaning some users will have it, some won't. There was one that broke almost all users but me and through some patience and help from fellow users I was able to get it to work.

I'll try and double check some files someone emailed me to see if they giv me a clue. If not I might have some "basic" steps I would like to help step you through.