Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
Umm.. installed transitioncontrol but it won't appear anywhere (in the application menu nor the settings). Where should it be launched from?

Edit: nevermind. Got it launched from terminal.

Edit #2: heh, now I'm stuck in portait mode all the time :-D It's cool, but I'd like to know how to get it back to landskape after opening the phone app without rebooting the device.

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

Last edited by d-iivil; 2010-01-25 at 13:13.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 120 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Note that transitioncontrol won't work if you have added a custom transitions.ini file to your theme. See here for why you would want to do that.

I guess that in this case you'll have to edit the transitions.ini file manually (haven't yet tried).

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
The transitions in Fremantle are generally set so as to take about as much time as it takes to perform those transitions, so turning off animations wont save you much time.
It has nothing to do about "saving time", it is about NOT wasting resources.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
well, transitions are handled by compositor and is completely done on the GPU, not CPU, so they really don't affect the perf at all. Byt having slow transitions lets user see that something is happening.

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sweden
wow!
I set all transition to 12 and boy it feels much snappier.
maybe its not saving time but it certainly feels like it does.
launcing contacts in an instant. Tweaking tranistion DOES save time without a doubt.
I hope many ppl see this thread.

thanx

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by konttori View Post
well, transitions are handled by compositor and is completely done on the GPU, not CPU, so they really don't affect the perf at all. Byt having slow transitions lets user see that something is happening.
I noticed that the framerate of the transitions drop when the N900 is either doing some stuff in the background or if you have a few background apps open. It's not as butter smooth as when you only have 1 small application open....

That to me looks like it is still related to the CPU somehow?
(well, I can only assume any GPU activity still requires some CPU cycles)

The Following User Says Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I agree, there's definitely some CPU involvement. When the CPU is under heavy load, individual frames of a transition (eg a blurry window zooming in from the dashboard) can stay on the screen for a second or two.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: