Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Ponte Vedra, FL, USA
Preface: I have minimal Linux experience at test installing Ubuntu and all my other Linux experience has been with my Nokia N810 and Maemo 4 for the past 10 or 11 months. Prior to that in my distant past career as a network engineer/admin, the company DNS & DHCP server was Unix, but I only knew enough to do what I needed to do to maintain it. When Microsoft finally offered a network OS that could handle those functions, they were immediately moved over to our Microsoft servers.

All that being said, I am a rather techie person, and can follow instructions. Coming from a CP/M, MS-DOS and Novell Netware background, I'm not afraid of a DOS prompt at all, and use the Maemo terminal and root quite frequently.

Ereader.com just released a beta version of their eReader app for Linux in a DEB package for Ubuntu. Am I slamming my head into a brick wall thinking that this can be made to work (manual install or whatever) on Maemo 4?

I would love to be able to use my N810 for an eBook reader, but all of my eBooks are in eReader format, so I can only read them on my Palm Treo phone or Windows desktop/notebook computer.

The Following User Says Thank You to internetpilot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
I checked out their download page. I'd guess that even though they do have a Linux deb, it's not going to be useful on a Maemo device.
The deb is for Linux PCs. Which means that the architecture of the binaries inside will be x86.
Unless they provide the source (which I couldn't find) or all their "binaries" are python scripts, its not going to work on your n8x0/n900.

The Following User Says Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 63 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Ponte Vedra, FL, USA
Hmph. Suspected that when I saw the i386 portion of the deb package name. But again, I'm a relative noob when it comes to Linux so I wasn't sure how difficult or easy it would be to port or convert across platforms. Oh, well.

These internet tablets are absolutely screaming to be used as ebook readers, but unless you're interested in reading public domain classics, there isn't a reader available for this platform. Huge oversight on Nokia's part.

Perhaps you could convert the ebooks into a better format?

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle, WA
It's not optimal, but you can install the Garnet VM and use a Palm ebook reader. That's what I do for DRMed ebooks.

I have to figure if you sent them some email and asked them for an ARM compile they might just do it.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900