Notices

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I'm wondering if these FBReader functions work properly for other people. (They don't for me.) I'm using FBReader 0.10.7-1 and the final maemo OS2008. Everything is freshly installed.

One problem is with text selection. I just can't accurately choose what's being selected. Usually I'll tap the screen and nothing will happen; sometimes I'll have tapped in a single place, but a large random chunk of a paragraph will have been selected. Can anyone actually select what they want with this program?

Secondly, I can't open books from the FBReader library. I can get them into the library by using the book+Plus-sign icon. Books that I've recently opened even show up in the drop-down menu next to the Library icon, and can be opened from there. I can open the library and see the list of authors, with little + signs next to them.

However, if I click on the plus sign, I don't get a list of that author's books. I can't launch anything from the library list. At most, clicking makes the list jump to another place. As a result, I've always opened books by going through the Add-Book-to-the-Library screen, which isn't very convenient and limits me to choosing them on the basis of file name rather than author or title.

Similar or different experiences? Solutions?

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
I'm also using FBReader 0.107-1. I use it every day, and have not seen anything like what you're seeing. I generally turn off selection, since I'm just reading books, but with it turned on, I can select fine. The library works fine.

So, this is not just a bug in the software. I don't have a solution for you, but I'd certainly suggest reinstalling.

The Following User Says Thank You to jacobmattison For This Useful Post:
I've seen the first problem. I also may have seen the second problem, but attributed it to the aging of my N800's screen. Try clicking "around" the plus sign several times, my N800's "targeting sensors" (ala Robocop) are a bit off, and don't seem to correct even after I've calibrated the screen.

The Following User Says Thank You to jcharpak For This Useful Post:
I have the same problem with selection. I am using FBReader together with StarDict. StarDict can look up selected word. But, when stardict window pops up, touchscreen focus is still in FBReader. So, when I try to scroll text inside StarDict window, FBReader is still selecting text... The same happens when I pressing to start menu button.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
You users that have better success with selecting text in FBReader and with selecting books in the FBReader library, under the Maemo tab in the preferences, what stylus pressure range do you have selected?

I've found that in selecting books in the library, I can do it if I use the stylus differently than in all other applications. In every other application, I tap directly on or a tiny bit below the link. In FBReader, I can now select if my "tap" is a slightly down-moving stroke starting from just above the link. It seems weird to me that the touchscreen sensitivity would vary that way between programs, but it seems to.

Everything worked for me for Fbreader 0.8.17. It was not so easy to select word (click at the beginning, drag to the end) but finally it worked with stardict. After I installed new Fbreader to select word becomes much easier just click (or double click?) but I got serious interference problem of startdict and Fbreader like you described.
So I decided to degrade Fbreader back. Without this working with strardict is the pain.