Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
2H means two hours?
2H = two Half moons = 4 weeks

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
actually I mean H2 of 2013, corrected, sorry for the confusion.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Company selling products has to pay taxes. Preorders are taxed as well (if not even worse), since they are advance sales. With Kickstarter it's more weird, since most people see it as a funding (investment) mechanism, however for the government it's still advance sales mechanism, and they tax it like crazy. That's the reality - projects lose a huge part of such funding money. That's why most attempt to find investors, rather than using crowdfunding, since in such case taxation doesn't apply in the same crazy manner.
If you give money and get a product, you pay VAT/sales taxes, if you give money and receive money (coupon/dividends), you pay taxes on revenue (which could be much higher).
There is absolutely nothing crazy or unbelievable about that.

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by zeebra View Post
Nokia fanatic:
The N900 is basically the only mobile comuter. How do you know that this would not have become the major trend if more of these devices were attempted?
They have been attempted, they were called Windows Mobile phones, and worked with similar paradigms as desktops (windows that can be minimized, maximized, menus, etc).

It worked out so well... Until the new interfaces came.

Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
If you give money and get a product, you pay VAT/sales taxes, if you give money and receive money (coupon/dividends), you pay taxes on revenue (which could be much higher).
There is absolutely nothing crazy or unbelievable about that.
I don't think they get any dividends. Usual crowdfunding works in a way that those who fund something receive a pledge from the developers, who promise to deliver some product at a certain date. In essence it's funding, but it looks like a pre-sale. Because of that it's not working as other funding mechanisms (such as investors, stocks and etc.). I.e. more resources are lost on taxes (it can depend on the scheduling and year boundaries though).

See http://www.forbes.com/sites/suwcharm...-the-tail-tax/

What's crazy about it, that for many crowdfunded projects such taxes are senseless, since it's their only investment source, and it's not logical that they are deprived of a big chunk of such investment, while corporate investments aren't getting butchered in the same way.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-04-17 at 15:53.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
I just wish that Jolla's almost sole usage of F*ckbook and Twitter would cease. Unprofessional post-hip sh*t.

They are present on Identi.ca but rarely use it. They are not present on Diaspora*. I don't use FB or Twitter, so I usually don't track Jolla there at all.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Jolla should deliver a jolla T-shirt with different jolla logos and a user specific text decided by preOrders. Only for PReOrers. This is mine:

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Speaking about burning platform, there is a Qt game (Elpo) about it, which runs only on Symbian. Is there some Symbian emulator that can run it elsewhere? (That's really too much of the off-topic, but I never figured out if such emulator even exists or not).

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-04-17 at 17:31.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
pretty sure that game (or some strain of it) was also on harmattan

Tags
dave ate sail, fishing jolla, n9 sailfish, nokia n950, sailfish, sailfish os, sailfish video, where?