Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
1) Track record. I'm not convinced that this platform will avoid the same stagnation that seems to be afflicting my N810. If maemo succeeds and is great, I may choose to buy a maemo device in the future.
(The short answer is: remember the 5-step plan.)

Being afraid for stagnation is a dangerous way of thinking. If we all think like this, nobody buys the device, because everyone is waiting for the platform to succeed! Look at the default functionality of hardware and software and ask yourself: is this worth my money?

There are many reasons to act otherwise. A direct compare to N810 (which had lower shelf life than N800) is not fair because the situation is very different. We all knew the N8x0 were never meant to be for mass market.

That is changing. Maemo 5 is more user friendly and 'compatible' with the big, evil, proprietary world than any earlier version. Nokia is putting a lot of weight behind Maemo, Fremantle, open source, Qt, Linux, but also Ovi and Maps. They are now testing the waters of using Linux in a high-end, touchscreen smartphone.

How will consumers respond? The way we as early adopters respond is important, and we will gain many new community members. People from open source and Linux camp, but also new Linux users who are not necessarily technically inclined.

After Fremantle we will see S60 and Linux growing more towards each other with the use of libraries like Qt, WebKit/Gecko, and many more.

This device is the N800 of the new Maemo 5 era. It will receive more official support than later versions in the N900 series; compare to N800 and N810.

Last but not least I simply have the most faith in Nokia as corporation compared to all other competitors I won't bother to mention. Because, except for a few things such as GPS and browser performance, the N810 did what it was advertised to do.

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2009-08-30 at 11:43.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
You felt the need to tell us by placing a spam link to your blog instead of just posting the content directly, here?
Sorry for the spam.

I don’t like Nokia N900:
  • Form factor and build quality…i need joypad or trackball and a better keyboard (only three line). See Nokia N810, N900 seems the Nokia N97.
  • Battery…So you put inside CPU ARM Cortex-A8 600 MHz with PowerVR SGX, 256 MB RAM and 768 MB virtual memory with only this Battery model BL-5J 3.7V 1320 mAh ??? Why not BP-4L 3.7V 1500 mAh ?
  • Maemo Select…it can’t compete against App Store and iPhone software quality. Maemo community have to develop and convert quickly Gnumeric Spreadsheet, AbiWord, games and sync tools for Office Outlook and Mac.
  • Weight…181g it’s too heavy. I know Nokia E90 is 210g but the real competitors are Nokia N97 and Iphone 3gs: 150g and 135g.

Currently i use Iphone 3GS and Nokia N810.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by 8mobile View Post
Sorry for the spam.

I don’t like Nokia N900:
  • Form factor and build quality…i need joypad or trackball and a better keyboard (only three line). See Nokia N810, N900 seems the Nokia N97.
  • Battery…So you put inside CPU ARM Cortex-A8 600 MHz with PowerVR SGX, 256 MB RAM and 768 MB virtual memory with only this Battery model BL-5J 3.7V 1320 mAh ??? Why not BP-4L 3.7V 1500 mAh ?
  • Maemo Select…it can’t compete against App Store and iPhone software quality. Maemo community have to develop and convert quickly Gnumeric Spreadsheet, AbiWord, games and sync tools for Office Outlook and Mac.
  • Weight…181g it’s too heavy. I know Nokia E90 is 210g but the real competitors are Nokia N97 and Iphone 3gs: 150g and 135g.

Currently i use Iphone 3GS and Nokia N810.
All your complaints are the kinds of things you can only really complain about when you have the thing in your hands. Bit early to make those types of complaints yet.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
We are speaking about hardware and not software so IMHO form fact, battery and weight now are problems.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Why i don’t like Nokia N900...
http://www.8mobile.org/blog/?p=236
Why I don't like this post.

>> Click Me <<

Edit: I see that you appologized while I was preparing my post... thanks.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-08-30 at 17:29.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Maemo community have to develop and convert quickly Gnumeric Spreadsheet, AbiWord...
AbiWord and Gnumeric have been brought to previous Maemo releases, and it seems unlikely the folks who worked on past releases won't be interested this time. Meanwhile, as has been discussed previously, the "Device Details" page on Forum Nokia does include:

Originally Posted by Forum Nokia
Supported Document Formats: Excel, PDF, Powerpoint, Word[1]

Notes: 1 Document format support via installable application (Dataviz).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
We are speaking about hardware and not software so IMHO form fact, battery and weight now are problems.
Specs are great, but they don't tell you much about how things work in practice. When you get the device in your hands you may find that battery life is just fine, the formfactor is actually easier to type on and that the weight is more a comfort than a hinderance.

You don't know until you can try the device, and making snap judgements now without having done that is fairly silly.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Specs are great, but they don't tell you much about how things work in practice. When you get the device in your hands you may find that battery life is just fine, the formfactor is actually easier to type on and that the weight is more a comfort than a hinderance.

You don't know until you can try the device, and making snap judgements now without having done that is fairly silly.
Ok i will wait the device and after i will hope to not say the same things...

If the N900 works as advertised it will replace my ....

:E71 which syncs with my work Outlook for mail calendar and tasks. Mail for Exchange rocks on my E71 and gets by all my corporate security standards,and it appears to be available for the n900.

:N95 which I carry around for its brill little camera, personal data plan for the odd surf and to check stuff out. Listening to the FM radio over its 3.5MM jack. Catching reasonable quality videos of the kids at sports events, Nokia Maps

:n800 for its amazing little screen which I use to surf with when I'm in bed, or cant sleep at night (much more comfortable than my macbook). 64GB of SD card storage across its dual card slots for holding my entire music collection (on the go), watching mobile DVD rips , Skype Client, Controlling my Slimserver music server, accessing my MythTV using Mythweb...

Sudenly the n900 looks quite small to me, and will be a lot less heavy than the above three.

ps did anyone see the shot on flickr that showed the browser in vertical orientation, but has now been taken down.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
did anyone see the shot on flickr that showed the browser in vertical orientation, but has now been taken down.
Ooh, that sounds interesting. Did anyone download and keep it?