Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
As for memory - it's one (1) gig of good RAM, no swappolube needed on these babies.

As for GPU - yes, SGX530, but the question you should be asking is 'what clock'. Night and day compared to N900 even though 'in theory' it's the same thing (yaright).

As for keyboard. I'm a qwerty dude, and know this is a polarizing issue. The virtual keyboard is good, so unless I'm ssh-ing or ircing, I actually use the VKB even on the N950. So yeah, it's good.

As for landscape mode. Sounds good, but apart from video/mail/surf it doesn't really make sense for the N9s form factor. I would say it's around the level of iOS' landscape support. The N950 is obviously a bit of a different case because of qwerty.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Let me explain for the idiots: when I develop on my Ubuntu box, I don't need to buy a second Windows machine, sign up with Canonical, and download a 9000 jiggibyte proprietary 'SDK toolkit'.

I just type 'apt-get install build-essential' and type away my code.
It just works.

Moreover: I can download any old random .tar.gz off the Internet, unpack it, run 'configure' and 'make' and expect it to work out of the box.

That is what a true ecosystem looks like.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
That's of course, complete and utter rubbish. Because, you know, when you develop for GNU/Linux, you just imagine the code while sitting in front of your Mac, Windows or Linux, and then it materializes the bits and pieces from this air and brings them together in one big zzzzzingggGGGG that results in a package.

Yes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tkatchev For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post

As for GPU - yes, SGX530, but the question you should be asking is 'what clock'. Night and day compared to N900 even though 'in theory' it's the same thing (yaright).
i did try to find out the gpu speed difference between the 65nm and 45nm Omap3's, but failed, do you know?

Posts: 295 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
That is correct. This time it's a phone, not a canvas.
In that case i'll be keeping my N900 for canvasing purposes

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
if it had full flash support id be on it like a shot,
sold my n900 when they announced they were going to win7, dropping symbian and not giving me the latest flash
didnt buy a phone though i got a galaxy tab (for flash support which is updated every few weeks on android)
and realised i didnt need a keyboard when i always said it was a must
also realised i DO want all the latest apps and games, released at the same time as they are on ios/android
i have to say android is pants compared to ios from experience of both
but this meego ui looks like it could compete,
hoping they launch a meego market with 20.000 apps available at launch
the same apps and games as the android market and app store
and hope i see lots of app ads that say 'available now on ios android and meego' because if i dont see that i would just feel left out

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leetut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 61 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
Let me explain for the idiots: when I develop on my Ubuntu box, I don't need to buy a second Windows machine, sign up with Canonical, and download a 9000 jiggibyte proprietary 'SDK toolkit'.

I just type 'apt-get install build-essential' and type away my code.
It just works.

Moreover: I can download any old random .tar.gz off the Internet, unpack it, run 'configure' and 'make' and expect it to work out of the box.

That is what a true ecosystem looks like.
No, that is what a true "freakysystem" looks like.

Don't know what is actually worse for Nokia, the Flop or the Uberfreaks... OMG

The Following User Says Thank You to sunwong For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
How can you be so damn sure you need more than 1Ghz!?!?!?

People should learn to not only read how cool HW spec and thinks its the only thing that is important. Cause its not!

Remember when N900 with 600Mhz pissed on 800Mhz slow Androids.

Some Android is STILL slower than Maemo not because of lack of CPU clockspeed instead because the UI and rest of the OS is not optimized!
Ok, let me put it this way then. Why should I update when it's got no more CPU and GPU power then my N900? And the UI could very well be ported to the N900, given time. Probably not as good cuz of less RAM, but still.
A new phone (the successor) should have HDMI, and a GPU that can handle HD (yeah, this gpu can record in 720p, but bearly. And it kills the battery doing it).. Hell, I promise this phone will be EXPENSIVE, and for it not to have current gen SoC is just cheap.

Don't get me wrong, I love Meamo/Meego, but to buy a new phone just for an OS update doesn't seem right. Becouse hardware-wise you almost doing a downgrade, with the keyboard and FM TX gone. I knew it wouldn't have the absoulte latest hardware, but this is same gen as n900, and thats too old. If it had come last year, then this SoC would've been acceptable. But hell, I'm an idiot, so why listen to me.

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
Up after a late night and trying to gauge the response, so far its been pretty overwhelming, can barely keep up but the word of the day seems to be..

'Why did they dump Meego again..?'

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dansus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by kruppin View Post
Ok, let me put it this way then. Why should I update when it's got no more CPU and GPU power then my N900?
- camera 8Mpix f2.2
- 3.9 inch capacitive AMOLED CBD screen
- size
- nfc
- batterylife

those are my reason to get this over the N900.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pillum For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????