Active Topics

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ SoCal, USA
Originally Posted by kolos View Post
Qt Mobile Hotspot works fine with KP 49.
Was interested in the shell script version but I'll give this a try.

Thanks,

miked1541

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
The other point of using this script version is lower power consumption. Thanks for all the feedback.

Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
The other point of using this script version is lower power consumption. Thanks for all the feedback.
Yes, lower power consumption is what I am also interested in! I will try the script this evening on KP49 and holla back.

miked1541

9000, could You explain where exactly script version uses less power than new qt mobile hotspot?

Bluetooth PAN is obvious power-saver, but WiFi? I may be wrong, but AFAIK QT mobile hotspot use static GUI that run set of scripts, and in this thread we got scripts itself. Doesn't leave much room for power-saving.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
9000, could You explain where exactly script version uses less power than new qt mobile hotspot?

Bluetooth PAN is obvious power-saver, but WiFi? I may be wrong, but AFAIK QT mobile hotspot use static GUI that run set of scripts, and in this thread we got scripts itself. Doesn't leave much room for power-saving.

/Estel
I'm actually comparing to Joikuspot in term of power consumption, and referring to the technical issues of mobile hotspot with kernel update, and that occasional technical issues is what driven me to make a script version.

Of course, I'd be grateful if you'd help do the battery profiling and comparison with mobile hotspot, and share with us the results.

I tested the scripts this evening and it seems to work fine with KP49. Thank you very much for sharing this, 9000!

miked1541

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miked1541 For This Useful Post:
I've no experience nor interest in using Joikuspot, but as for QT Mobilehotspot (!= mobilehotspot package!), it is working flawlessly - it seems, that all issues of original mobilehotspot have been fixed. For me, it's stable quality.

Not to mention many additional (optional) features like automatic USB networking and internet sharing, but it's quite off-topic here.

As for battery usage tests, I'll perform some as time permits

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I've no experience nor interest in using Joikuspot, but as for QT Mobilehotspot (!= mobilehotspot package!), it is working flawlessly - it seems, that all issues of original mobilehotspot have been fixed. For me, it's stable quality.

Not to mention many additional (optional) features like automatic USB networking and internet sharing, but it's quite off-topic here.

As for battery usage tests, I'll perform some as time permits

/Estel
It is good to hear that.

hi guys , i need so help
the hot spot did work perfectly but i need to scan my area for SSID and info.
i did create this but nothing happens, can anyone correct it for me please.
Code:
osso-xterm 'root'
'echo "ifconfig wlan0 up"'
'echo "iwlist wlan0 scan"'
'echo "ifconfig wlan0 down'"

Originally Posted by moudy91 View Post
hi guys , i need so help
the hot spot did work perfectly but i need to scan my area for SSID and info.
i did create this but nothing happens, can anyone correct it for me please.
Code:
osso-xterm 'root'
'echo "ifconfig wlan0 up"'
'echo "iwlist wlan0 scan"'
'echo "ifconfig wlan0 down'"

I wondered the purpose of scanning the area when you are opening the hotspot yourself, save avoiding channel conflict. BTW, you could use WiFieye, it is quite useful.