There was a new piece on Meltemi in the Finnish magazine Tekniikka&Talous today, there's a short online version here.

Only read the summary myself, it's basically saying that Nokia is pushing the development of the new OS meant for cheap phones and tablets(!?), the first phones might be out this summer and they have started the development almost from scratch because Meego would have been too heavy for low-end phones.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Just hope it will be Maemo hackable. If so i may reconsider my avoidance of Nokia phones.

Originally Posted by smph View Post
There was a new piece on Meltemi in the Finnish magazine Tekniikka&Talous today, there's a short online version here.

Only read the summary myself, it's basically saying that Nokia is pushing the development of the new OS meant for cheap phones and tablets(!?), the first phones might be out this summer and they have started the development almost from scratch because Meego would have been too heavy for low-end phones.
So far the only thing to have surfaced is Swipe on S40. I seriously doubt Nokia would build anything from scratch when they got S40.

The Nokia contract with MS. Does anyone know the ties in there, or are you simply jumping to conclusions?

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
"Phones are so last season" ?
"Linux-based" ?
"MeeGo" ?

I smell NITs.

Especially if Nokia really isn't allowed to make phones running anything other than WP.

Can we has bigger NITs now?

Last edited by Hurrian; 2012-05-19 at 05:03.

Originally Posted by smph View Post
That's the plan.
Impossible for phones to meet summer schedule, most likely Q4 if not later....
The other device is for next year, and a lot can happen from now till then. So like Elop said the most important thing for the next billion now is to deliver, once the phone(s) is out, the strategy will pan itself out more clearly.

@zimon :The appcampus comment was made by someone else, not Sotiris.

I agree Sotiris' comment can be read that way, but the placement of the ellipses (...) suggests to me that the linux based and smartphone phrases are separate.

----

Sotiris : @xxxx : come and join us. We have space for you and this is [sic] thing is cool. Rest: is a surprise but Meego team is coming back with a new name and a new game but Linux based...phones are so last season :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigfatdeal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Regarding the SmartPhone definition. In my opinion we can't call Windows Phone a SmartPhone OS. It is totally restricted, the most features other devices had for ages are not implemented. So I would say WP7 Devices are the new featurephones. No mather what the MS marketing machine is writing.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Its a WP-thing w/ MS.
http://www.appcampus.fi/
Once the application is up on the relevant Application MarketPlace (Windows Phone and/or Nokia), the App developer may not post a similar application to a competing marketplace for 6 months.
Nice touch (of Microsoft).

Last edited by zimon; 2012-05-19 at 15:42.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
I have thought the definition and smart phone is just that you can install 3rd party software to it.
You can install 3rd party software on S40 phones. That doesn't make them smartphones. Neither is a WP7-Phone a smartphone even though xou can install 3rd party software.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
You can install 3rd party software on S40 phones. That doesn't make them smartphones. Neither is a WP7-Phone a smartphone even though xou can install 3rd party software.
If you can install 3rd party software on phone, it's smartphone.

Tags
deb & mitm, deb obsoleted, deb rox, dumbphones, linux, linuxmelting, meltemi, rpm sux