Originally Posted by Mitrandir View Post
D-Bus can be handled manually too. But using GStreamer will eat 8-10mb of ram anyway. And i don't know how we can do anything about it.
Might as well use glib-dbus since you have to have glib for gstreamer. I don't think glib increases the program anywhere near as much as GTK does. And maybe you have gstreamer in some default bloated down mode and its possible to get its size down, a lot.

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Somebody mentioned recording live internet radio.

I love this idea.

I listen to Acoustic Radio Cafe and it plays songs you can't find or purchase anywhere online.

So yeah, having Streamripper (already available) support would be amazing.
I tried to use streamripper a while ago to record from somafm, and it will eat the cpu and the battery alive.

The Following User Says Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by auouymous View Post
Might as well use glib-dbus since you have to have glib for gstreamer. I don't think glib increases the program anywhere near as much as GTK does. And maybe you have gstreamer in some default bloated down mode and its possible to get its size down, a lot.
gstreamer isn't a good audio player for the N8x0.
From my work in the old mediabox I've seen that the propietary mediaplayer-engine (media player backend) is quite easy to use and low on memory usage, it uses the DSP, and it makes sense to use it first since you already have it in memory (4,8 MB RSS)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 637 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kaliningrad, Russia
Kroll, i think it's time to start working out some formal technical requirements. Could you create some public Google Doc for it, please?
ok. I think today I will find time to do it.
By the way, why don't we create a garage page? There is a place for reqests, isn't it?

Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
why don't we create a garage page? There is a place for reqests, isn't it?
Yes, the request tracker. I think mitrandir wants an organized document (that can be re-arranged) of what needs to be done and ways to do it. The tracker would be a mess.

The Following User Says Thank You to auouymous For This Useful Post:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1.../edit?hl=en_US
Rearrange, add, DO WHAT U WANT CUZ A PIRATE IS FREE, YOU ARE A PIRATE!

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
maacruz, thanks! Could you please point me to some docs on the mediaplayer-engine or something to start with?

Kropl, to organize some place for sources and tracker at garage or github we need some name for the project. Since thats your idea and inspiration the name is up to you

The googledoc you have created is a good start. Lets fill it with more concrete technical, UX and other details.

auouymous, i've started to code a simple lightweight ui library and may be will publish something soon. Hope you will find it useful

The Following User Says Thank You to Mitrandir For This Useful Post:
Since thats your idea and inspiration the name is up to you
Well I suggest a Simple Music Player - Simp.
Lets fill it with more concrete technical, UX and other details.
I will organize it as soon as I will have some free time. But you all welcome to participate!

The Following User Says Thank You to Kroll For This Useful Post:
maacruz, thanks! Could you please point me to some docs on the mediaplayer-engine or something to start with?
There seems to be no documentation anywhere to be found.
Just the code from mediabox or atabake. Both are python and use python dbus.Interface magic to generate a controlling class.
https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/scm...ox&view=markup

If you have any problem understanding this code, tell me and I'll write the documentation for you.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
auouymous, i've started to code a simple lightweight ui library and may be will publish something soon. Hope you will find it useful
Maybe I'll extra ASUI's process viewer code and make a list widget for it.

Also working on some code that allows sliding between views. It copies the current window to a pixmap, draws next view in another pixmap and then slowly animates between the two or allows user to drag between the two views. When you open a folder in the file manager it will slide the new folder in from the right. When you swipe right or click to go back it slides the parent folder in from the left. And switching between bookmarks and file view might slide vertically. ASUI will also use this when changing between primary and secondary widget pages and when opening/closing dialogs.

Maybe we should also start a UI library project/thread to create a lightweight and touch-friendly UI widget library. Figure out what should be in it to make a new style of apps for Maemo4. Such as system-wide theming support and Kroll could tell us what is needed for good theming. Wouldn't it be nice if ASUI, SiMP, the file manager, Telescope's category bar and others all shared the same theme?

Thoughts?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to auouymous For This Useful Post: