Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
The point is "why is Nokia making and advanced version of a device that has not yet been released?"

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by x61 View Post
The point is "why is Nokia making and advanced version of a device that has not yet been released?"
Work like this is always done in parallel. There are multiple stages in projects like these. When implementation and testing is finishing on one project, if only then work would start on the next one it would be a ridiculous waste of time and available resources.

And well, if the next thing wouldn't always be better than the previous, there would be no point doing the next thing. Consumers need to jump in at the moment they think something is good enough for them.

"Everything you buy now will suck in 5 years", a cynical person might say.

The Following User Says Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Electronics lose their value all the time. The moment you open the shrinkwrap, it loses at least 20% off your purchase price..

If you're not buying it as a 'toy' to tinker with or for development platform, then you should only buy the device when you're 100% sure it'll deliver all the features and functions at the quality level of your expectation. Anything beyond that (future upgrades) should be considered as BONUS. Don't buy a product based on a promise that the vendor has made but not delivered yet.

Otherwise, you're undermining yourself.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Buying any electronic/high-tech devices based primarily on future expectations is incredibly stupid. If you do this all the time, then it IS indeed a sure way to lose a lot of money.

Either you buy the device based on the features available now or you don't buy it.

And if you start worrying about more advanced future models you will be unable to buy anything, because announced or not there will always be a better model.

Last edited by hqh; 2009-10-14 at 12:44.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by x61 View Post
Because at a device and platform level the N900 and Maemo 5 are basically complete.

Because it's a good open source development practice to share your vision and highlight the main novelties in your roadmap that might affect developers working currently in your platform.

Because it takes a while to productize a new application framework in your platform, leave alone to get ready innovative and attractive hardware, all this with the quality standards we are setting for a Harmattan called to go global and mainstream.

For everything you buy that runs with electricity there is a more advanced version in the works. The strange and suspicious thing would be not to have it.

Announcing Maemo 6 highlights before starting Maemo 5 is being honest to developers and users. I posted more comments in a twin/duplicate thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32627

Enjoy Maemo 5!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Hague
But if Nokia says: this is the fourth step of a five step plan, why wouldnt you wait 'till the last, final and finished step? I think that is logically. Nokia is admitting that the Nokia N900 is not their really flagship, but the one-before-last-step. Multitouch and portrait mode look really attractive. Also, the great mass of people consider these as the option the N900 lacks most. So if the successor of the N900 comes out, it will be way more popular and there will be made more commercial apps for it, that attracts more customer, that attracts more developers and so on. So i think the next device will be much better. One year isn't that long.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
a lot of people keep saying they are waiting for Maemo6 but do people think once that device/os i released Nokia is going to stop work on Maemo devices there will always be the next device coming around the corner. If you keep waiting you will be waiting for ever.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

So the N series will finally get multitouch... But with the capacitive touchscreen, that probably means bye-bye to the stylus, something I love on my N810. That, or they will find some way of producing a cheap capacitive stylus... I hope they will also include USB OTG in the next gen device.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Ytr View Post
But if Nokia says: this is the fourth step of a five step plan, why wouldnt you wait 'till the last, final and finished step? I think that is logically. Nokia is admitting that the Nokia N900 is not their really flagship, but the one-before-last-step. Multitouch and portrait mode look really attractive. Also, the great mass of people consider these as the option the N900 lacks most. So if the successor of the N900 comes out, it will be way more popular and there will be made more commercial apps for it, that attracts more customer, that attracts more developers and so on. So i think the next device will be much better. One year isn't that long.
If you prefer your current device to the N900, then there is no reason to change. If you prefer the N900 but you don't want to invest the money now and you are willing to wait a year, then wait.

But remember the N910 or N1000 that comes out in a year might be better for the mass market but it might not be what you want. Maybe Nokia will decide that keyboards are not needed but you really like them. Nobody (probably including the Nokia designers) knows what the next device will have. It may turn out that the N900 suits you better than the next device. In that case you will have waited a year for nothing.

Plus, in a year Nokia will be working on the next next device and OS. The market keeps moving and Nokia will need to keep up. You will have this same decision regardless of what computer product you are considering and regardless of when you are considering it. There is always something better in the pipeline.

Bottom line, if you like the N900 as it exists today and you can afford it, get it. If you don't, don't.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Ytr View Post
I think you missunderstood the 5 steps plan a bit. It's 5 steps to mass-market. Not 5 steps to the ultimate device that will never be topped again. Nokia is certainly not planning for stagnation once the Maemo6 device was released. It will just be the first Maemo device targetted for mass-market.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post: