Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Hmm. If I understand it right, Genie / Vala serves as a vaguely C++ / Java like front end on top of C, that allows you to manipulate Gnome GObjects as if they were actual objects, rather than manually-managed C structs.

The thing is, Mer has pretty much gone the Qt route, so it uses real C++ objects. I'm not sure why you would need Genie at all?
Genie feels more like Python than it does C++ or Java, that's why I like it. What's so great about using 'real C++ objects' anyway? Doesn't that just make creating bindings for other languages more difficult? Great if you like C++, not so great if you want to attract other developers to your platform though.

This is one of the reasons I think Tizen has a better chance of success, the native API is plain C rather than C++. I believe they're also working on an automated bindings generator. Choice is good.

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
What refund? There is no refund for tablets, its a kickstarter.
Some people ordered from the Jolla store, after the IGG campaign (presumably that's what he meant by "preorder").

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
If Jolla can't ship the tablet to customers I see no point to continue sail. Unless Jolla can come up with compensation for the backers that requests that.

1. What is happening with restructuring?
2. What is happening with investor?
3. What happening with the issues with the supplier?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by kapu2 View Post
if we wait around too long will we lose out on the chance to get our money back?
Jolla filed for debt restructuring last month. In short, unless Jolla comes up with more funding from somewhere, we've already long since lost out on the chance to get our money back...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
So should we change the title?
That is entirely up to you. My own mood on Jolla and the tablet tends to change day to day now, but I'm more or less in the "time to move on to another project" camp at this point. I can see many ways to do things better than Sailfish does (at least for my own purposes), so I figure it's time to strike out and actually create another new UI...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
What is this saying?

http://www.tivi.fi/Kaikki_uutiset/jo...saikaa-6236014

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Genie feels more like Python than it does C++ or Java, that's why I like it.
Cool! And yeah, the really high-level languages do offer the ability to do a lot with just a few lines of code...

What's so great about using 'real C++ objects' anyway?
Mainly because of efficiency. A long time ago, the Gnome guys got really hot under the collar about how "inefficient" C++ was, at least compared to C. Therefore, when they wanted to use objects, they simply constructed their own object system within C itself. (On the other hand, the KDE guys actually adopted C++.)

The problem, of course, is that managing objects by hand is extremely tedious. Which, I'm sure you understand yourself, since you're using Genie rather than C.

But, because objects are native to C++, they are very easy to use within the language itself. And, because C++ was designed with efficiency in mind (despite the arguments of the Gnome folks), compiled C++ code is in fact very very efficient.

Doesn't that just make creating bindings for other languages more difficult?
Not at all! Consider QML, the scripting language Qt built (and Sailfish uses, among others) to simplify creation of user interfaces. QML works by creating and managing C++ objects, but you'd never know it. (There are also a number of other language bindings for Qt.)

Choice is good.
Definitely! I'm a partisan for my own preferences, but it's always good to have multiple choices available.

Last edited by Copernicus; 2015-12-10 at 11:04.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
What is this saying?

http://www.tivi.fi/Kaikki_uutiset/jo...saikaa-6236014
What I'm getting from Google Translate appears to indicate that Jolla is having trouble from creditors trying to get their money back, and that they've requested protection from the court. And it appears that they've gotten that protection, from the last paragraph. Here's what Google says that they said:

The District Court decided to impose a temporary ban Jolla's desired. The decision was taken without consulting the creditors by way of exception, because the issue was considered to be urgent.

ah ok. The scam continues. Mybee Jolla hide the truth from investors too

This will be ugly.

Atleast we are back on topic

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-12-10 at 11:23.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
And it appears that they've gotten that protection, from the last paragraph.
Yes. Basically this Court protection is the most important part of that news story. It's good news for Jolla that they will not go straight bankruptcy but now they at least have more time to find the investors/money.

More about the dept restructuring procedure in here:
http://reviewjolla.blogspot.fi/2015/...uble-debt.html

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund