Active Topics

Notices

i downloaded and installed espeak, but i cannot figure out how to use it. i cannot even find it but it shows that it is installed on the apps manager on the nokia n810

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Seems to me it might be just command line? Anyway, using my Newbie link below, I put in espeak and got this.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dundee
Originally Posted by gokuman56 View Post
i downloaded and installed espeak, but i cannot figure out how to use it. i cannot even find it but it shows that it is installed on the apps manager on the nokia n810
Install Espeak
once installed go to x terminal
type
espeak "what_you_want_to_say"

The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyMagic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nashville, TN
Anyone come up with some fun/useful ways to put espeak to use?

Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Originally Posted by jsuggs View Post
Anyone come up with some fun/useful ways to put espeak to use?
Hide device under kid-brother/sister's bed and have it go "I need to eat flesh..."

or alternatively:

"Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Pinky—try to take over the world!"

The Following User Says Thank You to CrashandDie For This Useful Post:
I'm gonna use it with the fm transmit to take over the radio in my car share for work, put out a few personal messages!!!

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
There's a FM Transmit app for Diablo?

Could someone post a link to this?

I'm not finding it anywhere.

Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Hi All!

I know this is an old thread, but I'm unable to find any solution... Maybe someone is watching (:

So, my problem is: I use n900 with PR.1.3, power kernel v46. I installed espeak but it has no sound:
- when I type in terminal: espeak "hello", nothing happens.
- I installed espeakgui, has no sound either ("of course"), but it is able to export the text file to wav and play it via media player (or anything else) fine.

I typed in terminal: espeak "hello", echo $?. Result: 0. So technically it is working fine. So I typed: espeak "hello" --stdout | aplay; result: Playing WAVE 'stdin' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono. After that I run espeakgui from terminal, and the result is: process 13135: arguments to dbus_bus_request_name() were incorrect, assertion "_dbus_check_is_valid_bus_name (name)" failed in file dbus-bus.c line 1070. This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
When I type text in espeakgui and play it, termial result is: espeak -v en -a 100 -p 50 -s 170 -g 10 "hello" &

So it seems to work fine, but no sound because of some dbus issue. Could someone please help me to solve this? Any idea appreciated.

Thanks,

jm

On my N800 I seem to recall some bug that espeak wouldn't have sound if you just typed espeak "hello". You had to wind up creating a text file with the word hello in it and tell espeak to speak that. Then the word "hello" was spoken. This was a workaround but not a great solution as speaking from a text file seemed to have a large delay before starting to speak, which I attributed to having to open, parse and close the file rather than redirect from standard input.

Again this was on the N800, not sure if N900 version would have a similar bug or not.

Last edited by jcharpak; 2014-05-15 at 20:40. Reason: edited to remove typos.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by justmemory View Post
So, my problem is: I use n900 with PR.1.3, power kernel v46.
That might indeed be your problem. The current kernel-power version is 52.

FWIW, I have just tried espeak including your exact commands on my N900 and it works fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: