Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Ireland
Hi all,

Just wondering if there is a wait to get more range out of the Wifi radio on the N900, im about 20 feet away from a free hotspot and id like to be able to get it without having to get up from my desk.

I have seen a post on increasing it for N810 but that involved adding an aerial to the outside of the device, not what im looking for.

Is there an app or a setting to make the receiver stronger ?

Cheers

Colm

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Finland
I have noticed that the n900 has stronger wifi receiver than any of my laptops or other phones have had. i think you have to boost the hotspot's signal or move your desk closer to the hotspot since i tried to serch for drivers and apps for this wery same issue without finding answers.

I have noticed that too..it is a very good receiver, sadly my work wifi while i have access only allows me access to web browse and chat, but for some reason widgets and email dont work.

So im trying to use Google's free Wifi who are next door to me Their Wifi works perfect but im just about 20-30 away from the board of the signal.

Thanks for the advice, if you find anything or anyone else knows please reply.

Cheers

Colm

Originally Posted by KetkuFIN View Post
I have noticed that the n900 has stronger wifi receiver than any of my laptops or other phones have had. i think you have to boost the hotspot's signal or move your desk closer to the hotspot since i tried to serch for drivers and apps for this wery same issue without finding answers.

Try disabling power saving mode

ahh yes good thinking, ill try that first thing Monday

Originally Posted by Radicalz38 View Post
Try disabling power saving
mode

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Portugal
If you haven't change Wireless settings, it's probably at 10mW.
Try changing to 100mW, It gave me a boost.

Settings -> Internet Connection -> (choose any of the connections) -> Others (this part affects ALL internet connections, not just the one you selected) -> Change the 10mW to 100mW and Energy Saving to off.
It will suck more battery, thought. But if it works successfully, then you may put power saving on intermediate. (Mine's right now at 100mW and Intermediate )

And ignore my english errors / bad formed phrases.

good stuff, not worried about battery as its on usb charger all day when in work so that will be grand.

cheers

Originally Posted by RiD View Post
If you haven't change Wireless settings, it's probably at 10mW.
Try changing to 100mW, It gave me a boost.

Settings -> Internet Connection -> (choose any of the connections) -> Others (this part affects ALL internet connections, not just the one you selected) -> Change the 10mW to 100mW and Energy Saving to off.
It will suck more battery, thought. But if it works successfully, then you may put power saving on intermediate. (Mine's right now at 100mW and Intermediate )

And ignore my english errors / bad formed phrases.

FWIW, you can set it using `iwconfig wlan0 txpower 50mW` or the likes - this way you can set it between 100mW and 10mW.

For added automation, you can check for certain SSID and script it into /etc/network/if-up.d so that when the N900 attaches to a certain network, it will automatically set the transmit power accordingly. Helps save power when you're in a work environment that might be blanketed, but at home you might need more power to "roam".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
wallpaper your room in tin foil should also do it.

The Following User Says Thank You to jaimex2 For This Useful Post:
Sadly the signal strength is set to 100 by default so im already at max....ahhwell

Originally Posted by colm.smyth View Post
good stuff, not worried about battery as its on usb charger all day when in work so that will be grand.

cheers