Active Topics

I'm very interesteed in this thread - as I, like Melody and ChuckP, can think of several times a day at my job where being able to thow the 770 on a wired network (at the rack etc) would be excellent.
This is actually one of the last factors I am waiting to see the outcome of before I place an order.
Currently I use my Zaurus SL5500 to do this which has excellent abilites via the CF slot for wired ethernet. The lack of a CF slot on this device exactly for the wired eth purpose has been a show stopper for me. But if it is determined that the USB port can be used with a USB to Eth adaptor then I would be all set.

--r00t

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Central London
Originally Posted by fredoll
Hi,
Why don't you use bluetooth to get a connection from a PC ?
I suppose it wouldn't violate your company's rules and it would give you cableless connectivity ...
Fred
I've been trying to do that - there are a few guides around, but they require Linux on the desktop side - obviously fairly unlikely in a work environment (ok, so we have loads of Linux boxes here, but they're all in the basement in an air-conditioned room - well out of bluetooth range ).

I'm pretty sure you also need to be root on the 770, which I haven't managed to do using the Mac flasher utility (it doesn't see the USB connection from the command line).

So ignoring my problems getting root (sure I'll work it out eventually ), does anyone have any guides for bluetooth networking in Windows?

By far the best solution IMO (since it would require no fiddling around with the 770) would be to be able to emulate a dial-up server - in other words to get your bluetooth-enabled PC to talk to the 770 as if it were a cellphone connected to the internet by GPRS...

Any ideas anyone?

(I gave up and brought in my usb wlan adapter the other day - sure I'll get a clip-round-the-ear-'ole from IT support if they find out - I did at least lock it down with 128bit WEP so it's unlikely to cause any problems and they're unlikely to find out, unless my workmate who lurks on these boards dobs me in )

Fredoll, I've thought about it but as dsmudger mentioned, most of the current solutions require Linux (or some other flavour of Unix) to be running on the host box. I could do this but I see having wired capabilities to be more useable ultimately.

I guess what I'll have to do is wait for my 770 to come in and hack on it a bit. I haven't looked at the Maemo distribution yet and if it's possible to use kernel loadable dynamic modules. If so, I could build a device driver and give the 770 support. I'll probably have to use a wired hub of some sort since, according to other documentation I've seen, the 770 doesn't supply the +5v on the USB power line.

Mel

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
if you still want to try windows there's a soft called mocha32 PPP that should be able to provide a way of connecting via bluetooth easily ...
Fred

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Central London
Originally Posted by fredoll
if you still want to try windows there's a soft called mocha32 PPP that should be able to provide a way of connecting via bluetooth easily ...
Fred
Nope - doesn't work (just tried the newer Softick PPP software too) - the Nokia refuses to play ball unless it really believes that the thing on the other end is a phone. Whatever I do, it says that the device doesn't support dial-up networking. If I enable only the serial port service (as described in a few guides), it refuses to pair entirely saying there are no services that I can use on the device and "please select another phone"!

What's needed is some way to make the bluetooth USB stick really look like a phone, rather than these various serial port connections