Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...esktop_output/

there isnt an easy way of showing any scripts output at your desktop is it? have a widget for everything but for the guys who like to do a quick scripted(, croned) output to the desktop without thinking of much environment stuff and no need for a shell to pop up, just fingerfriendly - hit a button and run a script - set up a background display of system stats within 20seconds.

some examples:

* you want a button to query a simple online dictonary interface - with this you get it on your desktop just write the script and put it in there, you click the button get an input field press go and you recieve the output of your script without going to the website choose the right language and so on
* you want a window to show traffic warnings for your choosen highway from a website without the whole website - write a script grep what you need sed what isnt needed and tada your personal traffic desktop window updated from 7-9am and 5-7pm every minute and 50%opaque if no updates are scheduled

Last edited by chemist; 2010-01-27 at 01:19.

kind of like a control F1 to jump into the console?

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
kind of like a control F1 to jump into the console?
dont know what you mean is this a KDE or gnome shortcut? ctrl Fx changes my desktop on all machines...

I dont want a console to typ something, maybe a fullscreen console to view what the script does for debug or output but the excecution itself should happen with a button on the desktop

http://maemo.org/packages/view/desktop-cmd-exec/

is close to what I am looking for, a real editor with bash syntaxhighlighting and more than one line output and we become friends

The Following User Says Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post: