I have seen a lot of stories lately about all sorts of changes Microsoft are making to Skype (usually connected to rumors that MS are making the changes so that Skype is easier for law-enforcement agencies to wiretap). Does anyone know of any changes that have been (or are planned to be) made that will affect the functioning of Skype on the N900?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I currently use it almost regularly (about every weekend) for voice and regularly (am signed in every day and use for talking almost every day when N900's battery permits). No issues presently.

'course with prorietary protocols you never know when that'll change.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
I currently use it almost regularly (about every weekend) for voice and regularly (am signed in every day and use for talking almost every day when N900's battery permits). No issues presently.

'course with prorietary protocols you never know when that'll change.
You use skype for voice??

Which kernel are you running?

I have found that voice quality degrades to unusable in a matter of seconds.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post

Whichever kernel-power is in devel at any given time, with, I believe, nearly stock if not completely stock swap settings and no overclock

From America to Russia.

That said, I have indeed had voice quality degradation, some calls do degrade to un-usable-ness, sometimes immediately, sometimes over a long time and only after a while on the line. Sometimes it's perfectly good though. Typically I can comfortably talk for an hour or two with just a couple of retries.

So far I've been chalking any issues up to internet connection issues here and there, what with it being an America to Russia call. Plus from what I hear skype can just be problematic every once in a while. *Shrug*

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post

Dito. Was KP50 or whatever was up2date in April. Usable only if the peer side went from UMTS to WiFi/LAN.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
I've stopped using skype on my N900, I would keep using it if skype had a setting to disable chat history.

If I enable it, the next hour or so my N900 becomes unusable- getting flooded with thousands of messages from the last few weeks/months.