I would like to ask if there is a way to check if the fact that my internet connection is slow (with 3G and 3.5 I have 1 Mbs or even less, and it used to be 4-5), it's due to the provider or to a hardware problem of my phone. Unfortunately some days ago my phone felt to the ground (about 1 meter fly). I was believing it was intact, but I did the speedtest and I found low values.

It would be your operator most probably...

Mobile broadband (3G and 3.5G) isn't the fastest or most reliable at the moment because the bandwidth isn't there, and with lots of iPhones, 3G dongles and other smart phones all connected at the same time during the day its going to put a massive strain on it.

I haven't got anywhere near the 7.2mbps that 3.5G is supposed to give. I'm on O2, and on average I get between 1 and 3 on a good day.

The Following User Says Thank You to teh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
A very simple test is to install the wget package and try to download something that is around 10MByte in size and see which speed you get.

This is not the best way to check network speed but it will at least give you an estimate.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
There's a program called 'speedy' in extras (somewhere in the flow, certainly in -devel). That does more or less that, and gives a KB/s indication. Pretty bad here, only 37 KB/s, on Three, in Watford, UK. I've seen a lot better in other locations.

The Following User Says Thank You to Netweaver For This Useful Post:
I like to add my experience here , my internet started slowing down a little bit about 2 days ago
and my downloading speed is really slow i think i have a problem with my network but i dont know what to do
I checked my speed here http://www.scanmyspeed.com/ it shows the following result ::
Upload speed : 3.96 Mb/s
Download speed : 1.73 Mb/s

At times its speed its fine but at times it just sucks. What to do? Please help. How can i increase it and make it constant.