Posts: 45 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Arendal, Norway
I've had my N900 since July last year, without ever having reinstall or reflash it. So far, it has, "knock on wood", been very stable. Via Conky I have seen up to three weeks in a row without a reset without any noticeable drop in speed or stability.

However, lately it has been getting some "quirks".
Yesterday it flat out refused to send SMS'es, they where sent but it complained about lack of space. Weird, since there should be plenty of ram and space on all partitions.
Today the last called list disappeared, even if I made new calls they did not list. After a reset all calls up until the last 2 hours were listed again.
Also the last week I felt a buzz in my pocket, pulled the phone out and found it was powering on (White Nokia-screen). I had to enter the pin-code and it was up and running again.

Are any of you guys experiencing the same "voodoo" when running old installs? I'm on PR1.3 with the CSSU, but I fail to see how that can have any relevance to these weird problems.

Solution: reflash?

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Finland
or turn it off and back on every once in a while. i think it does only good to boot it up without crashing reflashing is good also

In the 15 months I've had the N900, its only rebooted once on its own when I tried to connect to a public wifi.

- Battery drain issue about 5 times caused either by pulseaudio or browser hitting strange javascript.

Its is very very very stable...

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by skripis View Post
I'm on PR1.3 with the CSSU, but I fail to see how that can have any relevance to these weird problems.
Really? Seriously? Next thing you are going to tell is that you have testing&devel stuff installed :P

Reflash (and dont restore apps) and report if it still does weird behaviour.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by slender View Post
Really? Seriously? Next thing you are going to tell is that you have testing&devel stuff installed :P

Reflash (and dont restore apps) and report if it still does weird behaviour.

Well if those problems showed up, consistently, after installing CSSU my suspicions would be different... but like it is now, it's really random, happening with random use at random times.

Battery was low though, the last times. Between 1/2 and 1/4. Maybe the problem was there.

Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
Are you overclocking? If your battery is low, perhaps the battery is getting a little unstable and not supplying a steady enough voltage? Just a thought...

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If you are running Backupmenu, I would say you should try restoring a backup from better times. If not, I agree with the idea of reflashing.

Personally, I have done well with the philosophy of recklessly installing whatever programs I want whenever I want and not paying attention to whether they come from extras-devel or whatever. My N900 runs great, and so did my N810 and N800 with the same philosophy. But if I do start running into mysterious problems, I reflash without concern or complaint.

I have recently had a spate of problems, which all arose after the battery died once (when I forgot to charge it). These include lack of sound, complete non-functionality of some apps (e.g. media player, camera), internet no longer working (except for Skype, oddly), and finally (this morning), the touchscreen stopped responding (when my alarm went off). Devel enabled, and CSSU installed. Time for a reflash I guess.

The browser is also fubar now. Bringing up any large website gives me an out of memory error. - although none of the partitions are anywhere near full.

I yanked the memorycard here the other day without switching the unit off - maybe the emmc filesystem got corrupted?

I had same problems. reflashed and stopped installing crap. and made a backup image to restore to

Tags
just shoot me