Active Topics

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
N9 had 1Gb of RAM and was not coded properly.
pfff, C&D trolling please. You don't code devices, and the N9 is way more stable than most things out there. You just got faulty devices/don't know how to use them and/or are trolling as usual.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
The days of selling beta devices are OVER!
I think the Jolla phone has been in beta since may (or even earlier, who knows), so presumably no more beta in november/december when they start to sell it.

So Jolla showed us their specs. Cool. What has changed in ex-Maemo/Harmattan team that will lead for them to be competitive? Can they code without major bugs? Can they truly deliver on this device? N9 had 1Gb of RAM and was not coded properly. The device was laggy and freezed. Convince me that the same people who coded Maemo and Harmattan can be competitive in current environment. The days of selling beta devices are OVER!
May I remember you, that was a NOKIA project .

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Specs are no properly up on English page, including LTE, Gorilla Glass 2, microSIM etc. Just scroll down the page.

http://jolla.com/your-jolla/

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
Why do they have to use a Qualcomm chip? They could have used Mediatek's quad A7 at 1.2GHz and a SGX544. They should have increased the RAM to at least 1.5GB and a 720p display would have captured a larger market. The one thing that bugs me is the bezel. If they shrink that a bit it would have been a much prettier device.
Mediateks 1.2 Ghz of quadcore chipset sucks in graphics. Qualcomm's dual core can easily beats its quad core. there are plenty of cheap Chinese phones available in Market with Mediatek's quad core 1.2 ghz version and trust me they can't handle one heavy game with intensive graphics.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Those specs are way better than the N900 which I happily use everyday since 2009, and will continue to use until I find something which is basically "N900 with more RAM and faster hardware".

So, based on specs, if it works on T-Mobile US, has standard linux software stack (for example, I can run X11 apps over ssh) and a good hwkb add-on then I'll be all over it.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Sofia, Bulgaria
From wikipedia

Because I²C is a shared bus, there is the potential for any device to have a fault and hang the entire bus. For example if any device holds the SDA or SCL line low it prevents the master from sending START or STOP commands to reset the bus. Thus it is common for designs to include a reset signal that provides an external method of resetting the bus devices. However many devices do not have a dedicated reset pin forcing the designer to put in circuitry to allow devices to be power cycled if they need to be reset.
and

I²C supports a limited range of speeds. Hosts supporting the multi-megabit speeds are rare. Support for the Fm+ one-megabit speed is more widespread, since its electronics are simple variants of what is used at lower speeds. Many devices do not support the 400 kbit/s speed (in part because SMBus does not yet support it). I²C nodes implemented in software (instead of dedicated hardware) may not even support the 100 kbit/s speed; so the whole range defined in the specification is rarely usable. All devices must at least partially support the highest speed used or they may spuriously detect their device address.
I don't like the sound of this...
I suppose i should be very careful with my choice of "other halves" (no suspicious, cheap ebay stuff )
Fingers crossed
Barnabas Collins

Last edited by kollin; 2013-09-20 at 17:17.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kollin For This Useful Post:
Btw, what about GPS? There's no mention of it anywhere, or is it such a standard feature like Bluetooth that they don't mention it?
Hope so...

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Btw, what about GPS? There's no mention of it anywhere, or is it such a standard feature like Bluetooth that they don't mention it?
Hope so...
Ask them in Twitter about those 2. To me, it's a given. Like: it can make and receive calls kind of thing.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Hope so...
bLuetooth /wifi altogether in snapdragon soc

gps..they didnt announce, but iianm they did talk abut mapping on jolla device..