Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
N9.... It can not compete for the common man/woman paycheck...
I think you can also replace 'N9' with 'WP' in your statement above, and the statement is still good.

As long as the common man/woman does not see a value, there will be no sale.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
@Lumiaman
Clearly you are not quite alone.

Stephen Elop is a genius
I think I puked a little bit in my mouth reading that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zoxir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
This one I really enjoyed reading
Nokia does the Windows Phone death dance

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Perhaps. I am still optimistic.
That's all what comes to my mind:

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
This one I really enjoyed reading
Nokia does the Windows Phone death dance
Good summary sentence:
"But looking at how much worse off Nokia is today than 14 months ago, when Elop cut the Microsoft deal, the big Windows Phone turnaround is more Harry Potter magic than Albert Einstein Relativity."
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Good summary sentence:
"But looking at how much worse off Nokia is today than 14 months ago, when Elop cut the Microsoft deal, the big Windows Phone turnaround is more Harry Potter magic than Albert Einstein Relativity."
But looking at the trend before Elop got inside, same scenario was very much likely. State of Symbian (n95 et al) discouraged many all-time-nokians from keeping to the same phone. Really, it is not Elop with his announcement (of which only hard-core fans as in this forum heard) that killed Symbian, Symbian killed Symbian with crappy release. Why it got out of UAT/QA stage and onto production??? Those people should have been fired. If iPhone5 will be slow as hell and hanging after 5hrs of usage even iPhone fanbois will get tired of Jobs' cheering. Nokia just lost its credibility as THE phone maker after releasing crap for quite a while

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
But looking at the trend before Elop got inside, same scenario was very much likely. State of Symbian (n95 et al) discouraged many all-time-nokians from keeping to the same phone. Really, it is not Elop with his announcement (of which only hard-core fans as in this forum heard) that killed Symbian, Symbian killed Symbian with crappy release. Why it got out of UAT/QA stage and onto production??? Those people should have been fired. If iPhone5 will be slow as hell and hanging after 5hrs of usage even iPhone fanbois will get tired of Jobs' cheering. Nokia just lost its credibility as THE phone maker after releasing crap for quite a while
As far as I can tell, you're partially right. It WAS already a sad state of affairs but once Elop took the reigns and started opening his face-hole and saying many stupid things in public and tying the company's karma to an already-established loser really accelerated the downward dive for Nokia. Symbian didn't drive the company into the ground the way Windows Mobile is performing right now.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
As far as I can tell, you're partially right. It WAS already a sad state of affairs but once Elop took the reigns and started opening his face-hole and saying many stupid things in public and tying the company's karma to an already-established loser really accelerated the downward dive for Nokia. Symbian didn't drive the company into the ground the way Windows Mobile is performing right now.
Hardcore WM fans will tell you you need to just manage runnign apps (yes, WM had true multitasking which was the reason for most complains, little RAM it had made people without some kind of easily accessed task manager installed claim it was OS fault, you can hog N900 too if you don't close any apps, no?). Never had WM crash or BSOD on me. Just that memory management was left to user and micromanagement was painful at times. Symbian on N97 is painful even if you control what is running.
Not sure what you mean by driving company into the ground, in the other thread you replied to a graph that showed symbian rising in Feb-March (never mind what data it is based on). MS could have released WM-Belle that would be on par with Symbian in its current state, but their long-term strategy is different

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Hardcore WM fans will tell you you need to just manage runnign apps (yes, WM had true multitasking which was the reason for most complains, little RAM it had made people without some kind of easily accessed task manager installed claim it was OS fault, you can hog N900 too if you don't close any apps, no?). Never had WM crash or BSOD on me. Just that memory management was left to user and micromanagement was painful at times. Symbian on N97 is painful even if you control what is running.
Not sure what you mean by driving company into the ground, in the other thread you replied to a graph that showed symbian rising in Feb-March (never mind what data it is based on). MS could have released WM-Belle that would be on par with Symbian in its current state, but their long-term strategy is different
I am-was a "Hardcore WM" user and didn't have multitasking issues as much as you are explaining. At first we were limited to 64MB RAM, which doesn't sound like much but it worked. Though you had to tame yourself to pretty much close all Tasks, so there was no/few actual background tasks.

Then shortly thereafter we got the 128MB RAM models. Previous users had no problem. Newbies did. But the extra ram meant extra performance (the cpu & gpu didn't get much faster). And we realized we could actually multitask (though you needed to figure out which programs were memory hogs).

Though WM didn't really get much of a turn for better multitasking. At about this stage xda became more popular (started off just unlocking carrier restrictions and themes) and programs became more sophisticated. What used to require 3 or 4 apps now was rolled into one. So multitasking got a back seat and instead the ecoystem matured a little.

The next phase started with the Kaiser, or what I call HTC's break from being a second-grade Chinese supplier to an actual OEM. This was their flagship and they came out guns blazing. They combined gps with telephony and the regular pda....into one single (thick) package with a keyboard so it wasn't that impossible.

What followed was maturing of HTC itself.
We got somewhat faster cpu and gpu (despite dodgy driver and class action lawsuits). The RAM got bumped up to 256MB and the birth of TouchFLO (aka Sense UI). One thing that HTC kept stuffing up was the builds. XDA is littered with many developer made builds which actually looked better, worked faster, used less battery (de-bloat).

The Diamond was the first of these "super-smart-phones" where they were able to combine all the features from the Kaiser with the improvements into a slim design. The only problem is they skimped on the battery size. The Touch Pro was the Daimond with a QWERTY but they refined it so well.

In fact, when you look back, it is as if Apple took all the ideas from the TouchPRO and made the first-gen iPhone. The TouchPRO2 came out, but it was a disappointment because it didn't bring much/if anything over the TP and suddenly Apple's revolutionary iPhone was superior to the HTC-Heavytitle. Nokia was creating Maemo during this time, but I'm not sure to say if those Internet Tablets were superior, let alone on-par with HTC's devices.

HTC after losing to Apple's appeal, signed a contract with Google for the G1. It was actually a developer phone that got pushed to the public to gain market share. In fact, it had so many bugs that it put people off android. However, developer communities rejoiced as it was open source and had technologically advancements over WM6.1, it was to be the iOS competitor and to do it before Microsoft could finish creating WM7 (ie WPhone). This gap in the market; with Windows Mobiles limited capabilities, Microsoft's withdrawal to the drawing board, and the immaturity of Android...let Apple's new ecosystem gain market share fast!

HTC's deals with Google deepened, and they realized Android was the way forward as Microsoft gave no promises. So thus Android began maturing as it did from v1.0 to 1.5 and 1.6 to 2.0 ...but now competing oems became interested too.
To celebrate HTC's last Windows Mobile project, they threw all the resources they had. The latest and greatest was packed in the Leo. You know this as the HTC HD2. With a High Definition display (800 x 480) and an enormous screen size (4.3in) and the fastest processor (first gen QSD), also all the gizmos/sensors the iPhone had, it was a true beast in its time.

But even that was surpassed, none other than by HTC itself, as they created the first "end-user" Google phone. The Nexus One. Now HTC stood chin-to-chin against iPhone's 3GS with no reason to slow down.

...many nights later
Android has cannibalized the market. Adoption skyrocketted but profits grew slimmer, it became a war of specs and marketing. Samsung came, saw and conquered. Apple had true reason to worry, but so did HTC which is learning that they can't produce half-assed products and expect to sell. And they're only just realizing the importance of customer satisfaction to actually generate word of mouth and also bring back previous consumers.

I'm flattered

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Ok, I had WM devices, but not at that level of adoption. x51v (sure not a phone, but WM was exactly that, 'mobile' not phone centric) was a beauty(and a true beast) at the time (still tops stock N900 by 24mhz ). Never had issues, neither on phones (c500/e650) once I knew how to manage memory. Someone porting c compiler for the WM also made me write my first game for handhelds (bit like tron, those damn putpixels did work out quite well, SDL was a dream). But memory-lane aside, WM had real multitasking, why WP doesn't??? For the silky-smooth(tm)? If so, bad decision.

Tags
goodbye nokia, winding down