Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ The Netherlands
I was just reading some of my feeds and I again heard about 'pinging' for mobile phones, something that Blackberry started. It seems Samsung is getting on the bandwagon too and the app to use is Palringo.

They do have a symbian version, but there isnt a N900 version yet.
So, anyone who was planning on trying to build an app, this one would be nice : )

Posts: 353 | Thanked: 263 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Why would we need this on N900 since all (or at least most) of those IM protocols are already supported?

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
There is a version that kind of works on the N900

http://blogs.palringo.com/andrew/?p=170

I'm the author of it. I started it as a side project while I was working there as a client for Linux. It's written in Qt and all the code is on github

http://github.com/EspadaV8/QPalringo

The code isn't very pretty and on the phone it's rather slow (on the desktop it's not that much faster).

Like I said, it was a side project and a way for me to learn Qt/C++. Feel free to pick it up and run with it. I've not been working on it for a while since I've moved country. I would like to get back into coding it though, and once I get my own N900 it might give me the incentive to start again

If you've got any questions about it, ask away

Andy

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EspadaV8 For This Useful Post:
TNiga: As well as supporting the main IM systems, Palringo has it's own IM service as well, including groups (and being able to send pictures and audio messages within the application).

The Following User Says Thank You to EspadaV8 For This Useful Post:
Any News for Palringo

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ United Kingdom
Yeah i would love to use the ‘Push to Talk’ feature on my n900

Maybe some Developer could continue QPalringo.

Last edited by slaxium; 2010-05-10 at 07:42.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Moscow
Any News for Palringo?

ditto........

I did have a look at trying to update QPalringo so that the make system worked better (since I can't get it to compile on Windows or OS X), but I currently don't have time to work on it.

I also don't have access to an N900 to test anything on either, although even if I did, the lack of time would still mean I couldn't update it.

I think a better approach might be to get it integrated into Pidgin/libpurple (there's libQPalringo in the project on github).

Andy

The Following User Says Thank You to EspadaV8 For This Useful Post: