Remember how the N810 and N800 could do video chat using the built-in Internet calling program over Google Talk protocol.

But the N810 (or N800) could not do the same video chat to a PC based Google Talk client.

Will the N900 support the same video chat function to the older N810/N800 cousins ?

And will the N900 include support for Video chat with PC based Google Talk clients using the built in chat application (whatever it is called now) ?

PS : I ask cause this may prompt me to keep my N810 and not sell it off.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Remember how the N810 and N800 could do video chat using the built-in Internet calling program over Google Talk protocol.

But the N810 (or N800) could not do the same video chat to a PC based Google Talk client.

Will the N900 support the same video chat function to the older N810/N800 cousins ?

And will the N900 include support for Video chat with PC based Google Talk clients using the built in chat application (whatever it is called now) ?

PS : I ask cause this may prompt me to keep my N810 and not sell it off.
We've been told that the N900 video chat function allows 5 different (Jingle) video chat standards which is supposed to allow it to work with previous tablets, but since the state of the firmware is in constant flux at this moment, it's hard to say if it will work with any specific clients until it is on the market.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Don't sell off your N810. You need it for USB host mode!

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Don't you have an N900 right now qole? Could you try a gtalk video call from that to your n800? or do they have it turned off or something?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Cruelkix View Post
Don't you have an N900 right now qole? Could you try a gtalk video call from that to your n800? or do they have it turned off or something?
See, there's this little thing called an NDA...

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
See, there's this little thing called an NDA...
Gotcha. I guess I'm just not aware of how strict they are being with the people that have them right now.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Yes, but you do remember that I still have the old trusty Zaurus (SLC750) to do the USB host job.

But thanks for the suggestion - I do NOT want to sell of my N810, but again too many devices, too many diversions !

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Gizmo supported that too. There is also something as Qip (???), and new libpurple (Pidgin 2.6.x.) supports Google Talk videoconferencing.

Can anyone confirm if the N900's XMPP supports video or audio ?

Is video or audio compatible with the Gtalk, Gmail, and Pidgin variants ?

-Jonan

I can talk about this now because my NDA is up.

At this point, video chat on the N900 is non-existant. There were problems during development so the plan is to put out an update that adds it after release.

I should support Gtalk's protocols. I'm not aware of Pidgin having its own set of video protocols so I can't give an answer on that.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:

Tags
video chat