Posts: 54 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Catalonia
Is there any repository of applications to set up?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by epertinez View Post
Is there any repository of applications to set up?
This is the first release appropriate for application development, and, so far, we have . . . three: Mauku, Maemopad, and Arora.

Work is underway to get Fremantle set up in Extras.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Just curious: what whiz-bang are you talking about?
maybe the whiz-bang that makes it impossible to run maemo5 on N8x0 devices. screenshots (and 1 single screencast) i've seen so far don't look as if my N800 couldn't do it.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
I tried Maemo5 alpha with Qt and It works pretty good. It still seems to need some fine tuning on appearance, etc. but anyway it works.

A picture of maemo5 running the Qt tutorials cannon game.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Austria
Originally Posted by qole View Post
It sounds like that's not necessarily your fault:
Known limitations: On Debian Lenny (x86 scratchbox target), the response time of actions on using the UI framework is known to be high.
I'm experiencing the same, multi-second gui response times on a recent laptop, and I think it's not related to Debian Lenny only, but to problems with the intel x.org driver in Ubuntu intrepid, jaunty and quite possibly Debian Lenny.

I don't have any hard evidence other than that I've seen the exact same problem happening for other applications that do something fancy graphics-wise, or java applications like jedit. I asked lcuk on IRC yesterday, and he confirmed he is also running Intrepid like me.

Last edited by hns; 2009-03-03 at 10:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to hns For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Austria
Originally Posted by hns View Post
I'm experiencing the same, multi-second gui response times on a recent laptop, and I think it's not related to Debian Lenny only, but to problems with the intel x.org driver in Ubuntu intrepid, jaunty and quite possibly Debian Lenny.

I don't have any hard evidence other than that I've seen the exact same problem happening for other applications that do something fancy graphics-wise, or java applications like jedit. I asked lcuk on IRC yesterday, and he confirmed he is also running Intrepid like me.
I found a workaround: Add the following line to the "Device" section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"

I just tested it and now the GUI is fast and responsive. I already had this in my xorg.conf at one time, but found better workarounds for the apps I was using. For now I'm fine with it if it allows me to play with the Fremantle SDK, although the overall graphics performance becomes maybe a tad slower.

Somebody should update the "known issues" section of the release notes.

Last edited by hns; 2009-03-03 at 10:42.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hns For This Useful Post:
Benny, where is the screencast you saw?

there's one of a file chooser dialog in one of the pre-alphas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--zN8RmXOcI

seeing this, i hope there'll be at least whiz or bang added to the final product

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Thanks for digging up that screen cast. I like this filechooser.
The final result will certainly even look much better. But this is the kind of kinetic scrolling I've always wanted.

It's a little bit complicated to use... like you have to scroll all the way up again if you find that the file you're looking for is not in the currently selected directory, but in one of its sub-folders. a good chooser would let you select directories from an additinal tree on the left. (there's a very good reson why file choosers normally have two or even more lists to select directories, files, recently used... blabla). in this case obviously form didn't follow function, but was dictated other factors.

anyway, the point wasn't that it's less comfortable than what we have today, the point is that it would run on an N800 an therefore (according to the announcments about Maemo5 not being ported to N8x0 because of it's clutter-based, 3D-accelerated interface) probably isn't the real thing.

Tags
fremantle