Posts: 8 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles
Can anyone post how to enable portrait mode (for all the menus) with the keyboard slide hack thing?

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Moscow, Russia
One more video with portrait mode on Nokia N900:

http://maemoworld.ru/2009/12/09/%D0%...B2-nokia-n900/

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
Some tips I've discovered:

If the device is not responding to input, try the camera lens cover. I've had some situations before where I could see my apps doing stuff in the dashboard, but couldn't press anything. The lens cover trick got my inputs working again. It seems to send a low level interrupt that can jolt the kernel back to life.

Constant network transfer (no matter how low bandwidth) over 3G feels like the real battery killer to me. If you are like me and keep an SSH connection open to a screen session, you'd be wise to disable any clocks or other constantly changing elements, and possibly also adjust keep-alive times, etc... I haven't delved deep into this so far, but I think it will effect a big improvement in my battery life, particularly on 3G/GSM.

Some feel us linux user's may have gotten the shaft on simple synchronization, but we are afforded many other advantages from the nature of the platform:
  • Per app screen sharing through X11 forwarding: ssh -X me@mydesktop
  • Rsync/SSH file synchronization over wifi/3g (this could apply to mac power users as well)
  • The knowledge that nearly every desktop app you use on a daily basis has a high potential for being ported, or otherwise usable (chroot) on the n900 in some way

The Following User Says Thank You to go1dfish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
Yes

The charger delivered with device charges the battery internally in the device, if the device is not bricked.

No apologies needed. This is an interesting miscommunication.

The N900 uses the cpu to manage charging. If you have trashed your filesystem or otherwise bricked your device so that it can not boot, it will not charge from usb or wall-charger. This is behavior i haven't seen before in devices, so i thought it was worth mentioning.
If nothing supports the N900, then what program should we download to update the firmware? The box didn't come with a software CD.

-Socrates 469 BC

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Just ran Speedtest.net from the phone....and OMG, 6.7MB down and 5.2MB up... Sweeeeetttt

-Socrates 469 BC

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Originally Posted by spinnukur View Post
what program should we download to update the firmware? The box didn't come with a software CD.
Detailed instructions are on the Wiki

Most important thing. start with a fully charged battery

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Lancashire
As well as using the tapping or swirling with you finger to zoom in when using the browser you can also use the volume keys

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by ksh View Post
As well as using the tapping or swirling with you finger to zoom in when using the browser you can also use the volume keys
Volume keys also zoom the fonts in a XTerm window.

Typing while in media player list of artist,songs etc will skip to the artist/song starting with those letters.

Probably everyone knew that already - I didnt.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ksh View Post
Also volume keys in email will zoom your emails

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, n900, tip, tips, tips and tricks, trick, tricks