Poll: After having experienced the Nokia N900, which phone would you get next (replacement phone)?
Poll Options
After having experienced the Nokia N900, which phone would you get next (replacement phone)?

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
After having experienced the Nokia N900, which phone would you get next (replacement phone)?

Probably I'd go back to a more "professional" phone, don't know if BB or Nokia E series.
The most wanted feature will be email and long lasting battery.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
I'm into my second year of my phone contract and plan to keep my n900 well beyond that.

Currently I use my n900:
Logitect PS3 Media Pro Keyboard/trackpad with ...
...Easy Debian - "Linux in my pocket"
Emulators: GBA, VB, C64, ZX Spectrum
SunVox - amazing app to make music
other ported Linux software too.
I've also overclocked my n900 to 900mhz (makes a massive difference)

At the moment no other phone offers me any of this in a meaningful way.

Meego is currently in development and I'll quite happily wait and see how is eventually develops.

If I really had to choose a different phone it would probably be android-based.
Unfortunately it is almost impossible to port Linux-based software over to it. That's the only thing stopping me from switching.

Last edited by johnel; 2010-12-20 at 09:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Of course the N9 or an Intel Atom based MeeGo phone...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
whatever device that'll bring give me rocket launchers. i need me some g**damn rocket launchers.

"The Cake Is A Lie"

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to frostbyte For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by frostbyte View Post
whatever device that'll bring give me rocket launchers. i need me some g**damn rocket launchers.
Its been more than an year when N900 was launched and still I don'nt see any device having so many capabilities as N900 have. It has to be a successor of N900 that I will go for. For me a complete Quwerty keyboard is a NEED alongwith the touchscreen. So I don;t think moving into iPhone 4 or Galaxy S would ever make me comfortable, while typing text.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maverick788us For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ New Zealand
I'd stick with N900 of course, But I also want to have a user friendly phone ; HTC ??

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
The thing I don't like that much about the androids is that they are not designed to run any code natively. I am not much of a java fan and I hate sandbox environments for their realtime performance penalties. At least, when it comes to embedded devices in which category I believe these kinds of devices fall into. It just doesn't feel real to me.
I also find the development environments for Maemo (and the upcoming MeeGo) much more attractive. The QtCreator together with Madde is just unbeatable. The androids are said to be based on Linux, and yes they are but in my opinion all that linux power is totally abstracted to the the user and developers. You can in fact develop native code from what I've understood, but then either you do that in some library where you can call that from java, or you may need to root your device.
Heh? Well, that's not my cup of tea.

The N900 feels like a *real* handheld linux distribution to me and from that aspect with everything it means I don't believe any androids can compete (and probably they are not really intended to either).

The iPhone (or anything else with an i in front of) is totally out of the question for me, I just regard them as a market hype and they irritate me beyond sanity sometimes.
People talk about their truly amazing and "easy to use" user interface, and "it just works".
Well, from what I have seen I am not the least impressed, I can do much better when it comes to flexibility (the hildon desktop can be customized in so many ways, even without installing any patches or addons) and user friendliness on Maemo.
I can use my N900 resistive screen even with my gloves on (its cold where I live), and the precision is still amazing (ok, with boxer gloves I admit we might have a problem).
Where are the i-people gonna go, when they want their PHONE to do something else than "just work" in that one way that the fruit company decided to.

Indeed the N900 has a few quirks here and there, and sadly enough Nokia is not supporting it as much as they should, but it still totally blows me away and the community here just rocks.

So, there are not many alternatives at all for me these days, I just have to sit and wait to see how MeeGo develops, and maybe if my N900 some day break down I may have to replace it with a N9.

Time will tell.

Last edited by Larswad; 2010-12-20 at 10:16. Reason: spelly

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
Since I have just bought the n900 last month I plan to use it for some time now...

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
i'm definitely not doing the early-adopter again.