Active Topics

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Hum, a telescopic stylus. Think of it.
In the "old days" , before laser pointers, we used telescoping pointers.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Hum, a telescopic stylus. Think of it.
Is that a stylus in your pocket, or are you just...?

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ MA-US
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
This is the first time I read about time-shifting with FM radio, but the idea sounds interesting.
We have a software controlled FM receiver, a mostly persistent IP connection and Python on a phone. We can do some really creative things. Time shifting with speed and pitch correction, scanner, social sharing or even a crude ad-hoc Mesh network (since we have both a transmitter and receiver). Serious tool for serious fun. =)

Man, I hope they ship sooner than later.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to beelerb For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
The Bluetooth chip is a combo-chip with Bluetooth and FM radio according to the data sheet that can be found at Broadcom for the BCM2048. Fanoush already pointed out months ago that the chip was a combo. The data sheet confirms this.

Transmitter and receiver sit on different chips.
This makes me think that what I thought was a crazy idea, isn't actually that crazy. If they are separated, that would mean we can have them tuned to different frequencies, right?

What I was thinking, was a transmitter control app that uses the receiver to monitor for noise (not putting it to the audio device, of course). If the noise gets to a certain point, it starts scanning other frequencies for somewhere it can get a clearer signal. When it finds a clear frequency, it tells the user to switch to that on the radio they're using.

Does this sound doable (or useful) to anyone else?

The Following User Says Thank You to solkari For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Not only is there an FM receiver, but it reportedly can receive RDS. Which means even more fun... Theoretically, we could send data over our FM Mesh network.

Last edited by qole; 2009-09-25 at 06:42. Reason: linked to lardman's post

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Not only does it have RDS, but can also switch between the US/EUR and Japan FM bands, and this time it's already implemented in the driver code.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Guys, before you get too excited please note that the FM transmitter automatically turns off when you connect any cable except the charger. Therefore we know that the FM transmitter uses an internal antenna.

On the other hand, the N900 will almost certainly will need the headphones plugged in as an antenna for FM reception, so don't expect to be able to receive and transmit at the same time.

Regards,
Roger

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Prague
afaik, the FM transmitter only covers limited range - I would guess that similar to bluetooth-signal-coverage (as both fm and bluetooth are processed by the same chip).. but one could at least annoy people with fm radios at a beach, yeah..

It is quite probable that the FM transmitter would, if it were operating at the same time as the FM receiver, desensitise the FM receiver, causing its Automatic Gain Control (AGC) to wind down thus preventing good signal reception, even with the transmitter and receiver tuned to different frequencies.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Good catch! The transmitter actually generates an error if you plug the headphones in, and the receiver won't work without them! Catch-22.

Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
Guys, before you get too excited please note that the FM transmitter automatically turns off when you connect any cable except the charger. Therefore we know that the FM transmitter uses an internal antenna.

On the other hand, the N900 will almost certainly will need the headphones plugged in as an antenna for FM reception, so don't expect to be able to receive and transmit at the same time.

Regards,
Roger