Active Topics

Notices

Rhâââlovely (French joke :-), great job !

This one is officially perfect for me, thanks for the "fred mode"

Next weekend I will copy it over to the N810, to see if it still can be made to run easily, and how it could be tweaked...

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by Twidi View Post
About the informations banner :
  • you can now click on it to make it disappear
[...snip...]
Works well, I like it.

Originally Posted by Twidi View Post
[...snip...]
  • checkbox to display the feed's title instead of the item's one
LOVE IT!

• zoom by default (in %, 100% is the default)
LOVE IT!!

• and the last is not a settings : force the background to be white by default (it may cause troubles, tell me !)
ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!

Hello Okuda, I'm back.

GREAT changes.
Thanks muchly Twidi.
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Next weekend I will copy it over to the N810, to see if it still can be made to run easily, and how it could be tweaked...
OK, testing report...

1°) Portability

The good news is that GRead definitely still runs on Diablo, even though there are now two incompatible Qt APIs instead of one, and thus two files that need tweaking :

- of course the two InputMethodHint calls on LineEdits are still there, in Ui_settings

- the older Qt on Diablo doesn't know about QPropertyAnimation either, so in src/views/basic/__init__.py I had to comment out everything related to "self.banner_animation" in several places (thanks, PyGtkEditor ! :-).

After that the app runs just fine, with only a cryptic warning at startup about a conflict between QGtkStyle and the GTK_Qt engine...

2°) Usability

Everything works, but there are a few issues due to the differences between Diablo and Fremantle UIs :

- as I already mentioned last time, the default font is tiny ! The new font size setting in GRead applies only to the item view, which is fine in Maemo5, but in Diablo it should apply everywhere (feeds/posts/settings/banners) because everything is so small to be hardly legible. Either that, or bind the zoom keys (F7/F8) to font size...

- unlike in Maemo5, Diablo "fullscreen" really means "full screen", so displaying the feed name (or anything else) in the windows caption is useless in that mode. Here it would come in handy to have the feed name with the title in the banner.

- as per the previous report, menus are still not translated to Diablo "system" menus, but something has changed for the better in this version : menu entries appear in a horizontal row at the bottom of the screen, like a toolbar with text buttons. Actually this works quite well, even the "furtive arrows" appear there in item view mode :-)

- the settings appear as a regular, scrolling frame, but without an 'OK' button, which may be confusing for those not used to Fremantle... you need to take it on faith that "escape" will save your settings :-)
Interestingly, the "help" dialog does have an OK button...

So, it is still true that very, very little is missing to make a usable GRead for Maemo4: probably remove the banner animation from 'basic', and create a thin 'maemo4' view that takes care of the font size issue and F7/F8 keys. the rest is not so important.

I had lost my Diablo screenshot utility but I found it again, so here are some captures to illustrate :

Home screen/Feeds list :
Name:  screenshot01.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  19.8 KB

Settings :
Name:  screenshot02.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  23.5 KB

Items list :
Name:  screenshot04.jpg
Size:  26.8 KB

Item view :
Name:  screenshot04.jpg
Size:  26.8 KB

Item view, full screen :
Name:  screenshot05.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  24.3 KB
Attached Images

...and a last one with the "Help" dialog :

Name:  screenshot06.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  23.7 KB

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 83 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Paris, France
as i can see it uses the "basic" view and not the maemo5 one, without surprises.

thanks for your test and report !

Feel free to create a maemo4 view

Hi all,

first many thanks for writing this nice feed reader. It has all the features I looked for in a reader and for me is really a fast way to cope with my many feeds.
Now, since last weekend, I have a small problem: Scrolling article texts does not work anymore with touch scrolling, only with the keys. Any idea?

Thanks again & Cheerio, Jan

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 83 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Paris, France
naj : i have no problem with scrolling ! Did you try to restart the application ?

fpp : i just commit some work about views and we have now a maemo4 view... but with nothing, except that the two bugs (hint and animation) are not here anymore (i hope so)

Now for the views we have :
  • basic
    • mobile
      • maemo4
      • maemo5

And the ".ui" file are not used anymore, i do some inheritance from ui files (their py version) from the basic view, so it's easier to update all the views by once. All basic ui are in the ui/qt_designer directory of the basic view (just for reference)

The Following User Says Thank You to Twidi For This Useful Post:
Thanks, that's a good starting point for me. I'll see if I can tackle the font size issue from there...

Scrolling: I just tried again with a newly pulled git clone, still no touch scrolling (neither viewing a single item nor using the internal webview). The lists of feeds and articles scroll fine.
I'm a bit at a loss here what has changed. As far as I remember I installed Khertans Editor and PyGTKEditor in between working scrolling and non-working scrolling, but I would be astonished if this would change the scrolling behaviour...
Maybe some setting?
Cheerio, Jan