I know it's possible on the software side..but what about hardware?? It's got TV OUT? BUT NO TV IN? hmm

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by romanianusa View Post
I know it's possible on the software side..but what about hardware?? It's got TV OUT? BUT NO TV IN? hmm
Wouldn't that require an encoder and tuner built into the device? Neither of which are there as far as we know.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Perhaps with a usb tv tuner once Host mode becomes available. Until that happens, hardwarewise I would say a big no. Unless you get somethng that can broadcast your tv over your internet like a sling box.

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
one thing id like to know is if it were technically possible to record internet streams? ofc via some 3rd party app

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
You can receive 'TV' via BlueTooth & DVB-H using Nokia Mobile TV Receiver SU-33W however it is currently unknown whether this will work together with Nokia N900. Please see referred link for updated information on this compatibility.

You can also use IP via WiFi or 3G to watch 'TV'.

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2009-09-25 at 20:21. Reason: SU-33W clairifcation

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
No TV in and no host mode (would minimally require kernel recompile)

Something like a HAVA or other video to network should work via wifi.

Or you could point the camera at the screen.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
easter egg?
If so, it won't be ATSC anyway. *sigh*

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Symbian S60 3rd had a free app called PiiPTV. It allowed you to place software on your cable connected Media Center PC and control and view it via your mobile. If they can stream to the device, I don't see why it can't store it. I think that app was open source, too, not sure.

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Brazil
What a coincidence - I was bout to create a similar thread! :-)

I have an idea for the Push N900 project that would require the N900 to display live video from an external source (like a surveillance camera or the video output of another N900).

Without USB host mode (grrrr...), I thought of some other options:

1) Use a wi-fi video encoder / video server

It might work if I can connect the N900 with it in ad-hoc mode. The benefits are easy setup (I hope), high bandwidth (and thus good video quality) and basically no need for cables on the N900 – a very nice setup! The major disadvantage is the bulk and high cost of the wireless video encoder.

2) Use a video-over-bluetooth solution

I searched for this but could not find any off-the-shelf product, so unless I find one, I’d have a lot of work to make this happen… and the video quality would not be very good (max. bit rate should be around 700kb/s, I guess).

3) Use N900 USB port connected to a UBS host and USB video capture device

I believe this could work, but I never did anything like this. It might be a complex, bulky and expensive solution, but OTOH, this could allow other interesting hacks.

What do you think? Is there any other way to display video on the N900 from an external source?

Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post

What do you think? Is there any other way to display video on the N900 from an external source?
http://myhava.com/products.html

The Following User Says Thank You to texaslabrat For This Useful Post: