Active Topics

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Executive summary: I broke my screen. I live in Canada. My N900 has a US IMEI. I called Nokia Canada and asked how much it would cost to replace. Nokia Canada told me they won't touch it and I need to live in the US before they can help me. Please share thoughts/advice.

---

UPDATE: If you are in a similar situation, see links in my signature for posts which might be useful.

---

First things first: yep, it was clumsy. In response to my name being called in the office, I turned round, strode confidently towards my colleague and promptly walked into the corner of a desk. My excuse? I hadn't had my coffee yet. Only a glancing blow, I thought. Maybe, but it was enough to crack the lovely, shiny LCD on my N900.

So... broken screen. I'm confident I can get the data off my phone this evening when I get home, so I'm not worried about that.
I realised immediately that this obvious accidental damage isn't covered by warranty, and I have no problem with the fact that a repair is going to cost me some money. Surely, I thought, a call to Nokia's Ajax, Ontario customer service centre would set me on the path to a speedy (if expensive) fix?

No such luck. That's the Ontario in Canada, by the way. I live there, and apparently Nokia feels that I should be punished for this in some way. The repair rep I spoke with made it clear from the outset by her tone that she did not appreciate having to pick up the phone to take my call, and things went downhill from there.

She asked for my IMEI, I gave it to her. She put me on hold, and came back a minute later to ask for my location.

Me: "Toronto, Canada".
Belligerent Nokia Rep: "In that case, we can't help you. If you send this phone to us for repair, we will send it back to you."
Me: "Huh?"
BNR: "You need a US address, and you need to send it to the US for repair."
Me: "I don't have a US address, because I live in Canada. Why can't I send the phone to Nokia Canada for repair?"
BNR: "This phone was not intended for sale in Canada."
Me: "I understand that, and I am willing to pay for the repair."
BNR: "Our technicians are not licensed to repair this phone."

I explained that I don't mind where my phone goes to be fixed, so long as it gets fixed. My further questions were met with stubborn repetition. I wanted to know how I could proceed without a US address, and she offered no new information. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and after sighing loudly, she put me on hold. After 10 minutes on hold with no update I realised that my call was probably not going anywhere near a supervisor, and I ended the call.

I called them back, got someone else and asked them to explain why why Nokia Canada is apparently unable to offer a repair for the N900. "Which model was that?" "The N-nine-hundred. Nokia's current flagship phone." "The N900?" "Yes. Your current top-of-the-line phone."

After some coaxing from me, Rep #2 (who was certainly polite, at least) told me that someone "probably from the Executive Team" would call me within 24 hours. I'll update this thread once that happens just in case anyone ever finds themselves in a similar situation.

So in conclusion, my questions are:
  • Leaving aside my initial disappointing experience, is there anyone at Nokia who can actually help me get my phone fixed? I'm willing to pay for the repair. I don't expect Nokia to cover accidental damage under the warranty.
  • Is it possible to get a US-model Nokia phone fixed without a US address?
  • If Nokia are unwilling to repair my phone (remember, I am willing to pay for their trouble) does anyone have experience of third-party N900 screen replacement in the Toronto area?

Last edited by shallimus; 2010-06-15 at 20:31.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
Executive summary: I broke my screen. I live in Canada. My N900 has a US IMEI. I called Nokia Canada and asked how much it would cost to replace. Nokia Canada told me they won't touch it and I need to live in the US before they can help me. Please share thoughts/advice.

---

First things first: yep, it was clumsy. In response to my name being called in the office, I turned round, strode confidently towards my colleague and promptly walked into the corner of a desk. My excuse? I hadn't had my coffee yet. Only a glancing blow, I thought. Maybe, but it was enough to crack the lovely, shiny LCD on my N900.

So... broken screen. I'm confident I can get the data off my phone this evening when I get home, so I'm not worried about that.
I realised immediately that this obvious accidental damage isn't covered by warranty, and I have no problem with the fact that a repair is going to cost me some money. Surely, I thought, a call to Nokia's Ajax, Ontario customer service centre would set me on the path to a speedy (if expensive) fix?

No such luck. That's the Ontario in Canada, by the way. I live there, and apparently Nokia feels that I should be punished for this in some way. The repair rep I spoke with made it clear from the outset by her tone that she did not appreciate having to pick up the phone to take my call, and things went downhill from there.

She asked for my IMEI, I gave it to her. She put me on hold, and came back a minute later to ask for my location.

Me: "Toronto, Canada".
Belligerent Nokia Rep: "In that case, we can't help you. If you send this phone to us for repair, we will send it back to you."
Me: "Huh?"
BNR: "You need a US address, and you need to send it to the US for repair."
Me: "I don't have a US address, because I live in Canada. Why can't I send the phone to Nokia Canada for repair?"
BNR: "This phone was not intended for sale in Canada."
Me: "I understand that, and I am willing to pay for the repair."
BNR: "Our technicians are not licensed to repair this phone."

I explained that I don't mind where my phone goes to be fixed, so long as it gets fixed. My further questions were met with stubborn repetition. I wanted to know how I could proceed without a US address, and she offered no new information. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and after sighing loudly, she put me on hold. After 10 minutes on hold with no update I realised that my call was probably not going anywhere near a supervisor, and I ended the call.

I called them back, got someone else and asked them to explain why why Nokia Canada is apparently unable to offer a repair for the N900. "Which model was that?" "The N-nine-hundred. Nokia's current flagship phone." "The N900?" "Yes. Your current top-of-the-line phone."

After some coaxing from me, Rep #2 (who was certainly polite, at least) told me that someone "probably from the Executive Team" would call me within 24 hours. I'll update this thread once that happens just in case anyone ever finds themselves in a similar situation.

So in conclusion, my questions are:
  • Leaving aside my initial disappointing experience, is there anyone at Nokia who can actually help me get my phone fixed? I'm willing to pay for the repair. I don't expect Nokia to cover accidental damage under the warranty.
  • Is it possible to get a US-model Nokia phone fixed without a US address?
  • If Nokia are unwilling to repair my phone (remember, I am willing to pay for their trouble) does anyone have experience of third-party N900 screen replacement in the Toronto area?
An option is to use a mail forwarding service:
An example is: http://www.myus.com/
There are others out there -- so just search the web. I have not personally used these service but it was good to know that it does exist.

Another option is to go to a UPS Store/Fedex Kinkos that accepts parcels on your behalf. I know that UPS here does that -- and its an actual address and not a PO Box. You may need to drive over to the border to do this.

One more thing I would recommend. I added my N900 to StateFarm's Personal Articles Insurance. It is about 40CAD a year and covers accidental damage and has no deductible. Its really a wonderful product vs the usual warranty service. I can PM you the name of my REALLY WONDERFUL agent if you decide to go for this. (You can put in almost anything on this policy, camera, laptop, etc and it covers theft, accidental damange, etc).

The Following User Says Thank You to n61adm For This Useful Post:
Ouch... sounds pretty bad, cusomer-service vice....Reminds me of german bureaucracy (and belive me... those guys can be a royal pain in the *****....

But to offer some help: do you have any friends and/or family living in the states? so that maybe they could give "their" N900 to repair....

Regards,
Glasswalker

when my european N80 broke, I sent it to a nokia certified repair shop. they took it, and they themselves sent it to Nokia, which then sent it back to them, which in turn sent it back to me.

maybe you can do something like that? drive to a nokia store across the border (not sure how close you are) and drop it off for repair, and come back and get it ?

Originally Posted by roger_27 View Post
when my european N80 broke, I sent it to a nokia certified repair shop. they took it, and they themselves sent it to Nokia, which then sent it back to them, which in turn sent it back to me.

maybe you can do something like that? drive to a nokia store across the border (not sure how close you are) and drop it off for repair, and come back and get it ?
I think this might work -- I have heard of people to drive to New York -- may be a long drive to have their N900 repaired.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Originally Posted by n61adm View Post
An option is to use a mail forwarding service [...]
Another option is to go to a UPS Store/Fedex Kinkos that accepts parcels on your behalf [...] You may need to drive over to the border to do this.
Originally Posted by roger_27 View Post

Good ideas both, but surely it shouldn't be necessary to do this? Driving down to the US (potentially twice) isn't a trivial operation for me, so if I'm going to do that, I might as well start looking at buying a new N900.

Originally Posted by n61adm View Post
One more thing I would recommend. I added my N900 to StateFarm's Personal Articles Insurance. It is about 40CAD a year and covers accidental damage and has no deductible. Its really a wonderful product vs the usual warranty service. I can PM you the name of my REALLY WONDERFUL agent if you decide to go for this. (You can put in almost anything on this policy, camera, laptop, etc and it covers theft, accidental damange, etc).
Great idea, and I will investigate this once I get a fully-functional N900 again. If your agent is good, please do PM me. Mine is OK, but no better than that.

Originally Posted by Glasswalker
Ouch... sounds pretty bad, cusomer-service vice....Reminds me of german bureaucracy (and belive me... those guys can be a royal pain in the *****....
I lived in Germany for some years growing up, and my brother lives there now, so I have some idea what you mean by that, although I'm sure it's not always the case.

Originally Posted by Glasswalker
But to offer some help: do you have any friends and/or family living in the states? so that maybe they could give "their" N900 to repair....
I do have friends in the US, and this may well be the option I end up choosing (i.e. sending my phone to Nokia US and using my friends' address as mine) if the promised call from Nokia doesn't happen or isn't helpful. However, this will be expensive (over and above the cost of the repair) and worse, it will be time-consuming. It shouldn't be necessary to do this.

So at least one of my original questions still stands: I want to deal with Nokia in Canada. Canada is where I live, and it is where I earned the money to buy this Nokia product. Does anyone know why Nokia Canada are apparently totally unwilling to help me?

Last edited by shallimus; 2010-03-29 at 15:25.

Great idea, and I will investigate this once I get a fully-functional N900 again. If your agent is good, please do PM me. Mine is OK, but no better than that.
My agent is really awesome -- I will send you the information. I am not able to PM you though. However, here is the link to her website:

http://online2.statefarm.com/b2c/sf/agent/60/2354

It may not be as close to you but its worth the drive. I am probably the only person to have an N900 insured through her so she would know who referred you

The Following User Says Thank You to n61adm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 180 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Miami
I want to deal with Nokia in Canada, which is where I live, and where I earned the money to buy this Nokia product. Does anyone know why are they unwilling to help me?
well I know that warranty's are only valid in the country in which the products are made for. Warranty's never work internationally. But you're asking for a repair which has nothing to do with the warranty so this confuses me too.

You can also go to a third party repair shop and get it fixed, or order and LCD online and do it yourself (It's really not that hard, I open phones all the time and I'm no technician) but either way your warranty will be void. But then again, why does it matter if it's void if you cannot even use it right?

The Following User Says Thank You to waleed786 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by waleed786
You can also go to a third party repair shop and get it fixed, or order and LCD online and do it yourself (It's really not that hard, I open phones all the time and I'm no technician) but either way your warranty will be void. But then again, why does it matter if it's void if you cannot even use it right
A very valid point. Normally I don't tinker with my tech toys (at least the hardware) until I have replaced them with a new model, but in this case I may not have much to lose.

I'm currently going through something similar. I bought my N900 from a Canadian company, I was charged Canadian taxes, I paid in Canadian dollars, Nokia operates in Canada - now why on earth can I not get warranty service from Nokia?

The problem is that Nokia USA is set up to fail on a very basic level. And that is international shipping... despite the fact that all of our devices are coming from the US. Very frustrating indeed.

After tonnes of aggravation I was finally able to get some hope with this mail forwarding service:

http://www.shipito.com/

Unfortunately I'm not very confident that Nokia got it right. Dealing with the call centre is a complete nightmare. I'll know by mid-week if this is going to work...

What ever you do - DO NOT tell them you are using a mail forwarding service. Don't even tell them you're in Canada for that matter.

I needed more immediate results and ended up getting my parts from KLC Finland:

http://www.klc.fi/fin/tuotteet/Nokia-Varaosat-N900

And many thanks to KLC for being there for us...

---

I'm very pleased with my N900, but in the future I'll think twice about purchasing a device with no warranty support. Now I pray that I can at least get through my first year without a complete N900 break-down.

Maybe by then Nokia will start doing something for us... I mean at least open up shipping and let us PAY for service absurd as this is.

More later...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kriek For This Useful Post: