Notices

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i think browserd is more complex than that.

it seems the window is what holds the current rendered page and data, so that even if browserd dies from a bad script or something else, the different browser windows dont die, except for the one that was connected to whatever it was that made browserd die...

but this is me sitting on the fence, observing the process list...

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by coffeedrinker View Post
Well, isn't putting each on in its own process and each one having its own interface essentially just running multiple instances, but under one main window?

I spawn multiple copies of links rather than use one process with several windows. Then when I close that "tab" all the memory is reclaimed and I don't have to worry about any cached pages.

browserd, I think, is just the opposite. It is one rendering engine with the ability to respawn the main window. Closing the window doesn't even have any effect on the browser. Am I understanding this correctly?
Fork is the main way of creating new processes on Linux. When you fork a process, it does not duplicate all of the memory pages but instead marks them as needing to be copied on the next write. If writes never happens or are rare, than very little memory is spent in having two processes. Also on Linux, threads are implemented through processes that share the same memory pages.
http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl2_fork.htm

So in theory, if there are very few changes to the pages of a virgin webkit and that there is little in common between once rendering pages, then the overhead of separate processes would be negligible.

Disclaimer: I do not know details of browserd. I have no clue what benefits it might have by what structure it might use.

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by epage View Post
Fork is the main way of creating new processes on Linux. When you fork a process, it does not duplicate all of the memory pages but instead marks them as needing to be copied on the next write. If writes never happens or are rare, than very little memory is spent in having two processes. Also on Linux, threads are implemented through processes that share the same memory pages.
http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl2_fork.htm

So in theory, if there are very few changes to the pages of a virgin webkit and that there is little in common between once rendering pages, then the overhead of separate processes would be negligible.

Disclaimer: I do not know details of browserd. I have no clue what benefits it might have by what structure it might use.
I can remember reading that, unlike Linux, in Windows there is a cost to spawning processes. Maybe that's causing the confusion.

Should be available for download Noon PDT (1900 UTC)!

The download link is back up at http://gears.google.com/chrome, but the "accept and install" link seems broken.

EDIT: The link at http://www.google.com/chrome now seems to be working OK.

Last edited by wjanowski; 2008-09-02 at 18:58.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Switzerland

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
First itT post on google chrome!
itT runs faster on this I swear.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Friday Harbor, WA, USA
second post? darn!! fresh from chrome

Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
First itT post on google chrome!
itT runs faster on this I swear.
Wow, I agree. Speed is outstanding!

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Seattle
Jesus H tapdancing christ this thing is flying
=D

Tags
browser, chrome, google, webkit