Active Topics

Notices

endorphinum: Webkit is just a rendering engine, developed by Apple (it was forked from another open source project named KHTML) and it's the engine you can see when using Safari, Google Chrome, Tear :-) etc... What makes webkit better than gecko/mozilla is because is much better integrated on the platform, it consumes lower memory, and it is in general much faster.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by endorphinum View Post
one reason why the masses out there get stuck with our lovely n800 is exactly by threads like this.
I can only imagine what the webkit does or will do, but i do not understand it.
Could anyone of you just simply write down what the webkit does and how to
get it?

thnx in advance guys.
A rendering engine for web browsers. The thing under the hood of Mozilla Firefox so to say. Like the engine of a car.

Bitte, schau mahl WebKit am Wikipedia Deutschland an.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by pronvit View Post
Forgot, there is also icu library for unicode support, quite big too. but not sure maybe something else needs it to and it's already installed
i recall having to manually install it the last time i was poking around with webkit...

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
For example, Midori, is based on webkit, and it is really fast, in this video, it's running on Mer/Ubuntu 9.04 with no vfp-support (witch makes it 15% slower that it would be in vfp-enabled os) correct me if i'm wrong with this vfp-thing.

Last edited by meizirkki; 2008-12-23 at 14:37.

This is awesome! Can't wait to try it out!

/me fidgets and waits for those binaries

Please, make haste! I cannot wait to try this out

Nice work, pronvit! This is delightful news. Let's hope Nokia is paying attention, too; Webkit is an infinitely better engine to use, mobile device or not. It is actually designed to be portable, without any weird spatterings from its parent projects.

Does this still support cookies and password saving?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Picklesworth View Post
Nice work, pronvit! This is delightful news. Let's hope Nokia is paying attention, too
I remember seeing that the MicroB developers have done this already somewhere...
But I think Nokia are already paying attention as the S60 9.1 browser is webkit...

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Moscow, Russia
Picklesworth, currently working on cookies support. And this still need to be done before it can be really used instead of microb.

The problem with nokia attention to webkit is that I like webkit (and porting to maemo) actually because of one reason - better javascript engine which is 12 times faster than mozilla. But it's still considered beta and isn't used in S60 or Apple Safari. So if Nokia will make webkit default engine for Maemo but still without new javascript engine, this won't help much.

Also Midori seems to be very simple and nice. Bundyo, I saw your thread on hildonizing Midori, why you stopped that work, what was wrong with it?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
You mean its 12 times faster than MicroB's engine, which is based on FF 3.0 alpha.

FF got js speed improvements with 3.0 (after that alpha) and 3.1 with the JIT, so its comparable right now. We just need a little update. FF memory allocation is far better than WebKit's. Neither JIT AFAIK works on ARM yet...

I started Tear. Midori is Ok, but I'm not good with C and WebKit doesn't get newer with Midori anyway. Latest working is from March, I didn't succeed in getting any next build to run (with working JS) on Maemo and the March one is unstable and feature poorer than MicroB's old FF engine.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:

Tags
browser, webkit