Active Topics

Poll: Will Nokia release another MeeGo device after N9?
Poll Options
Will Nokia release another MeeGo device after N9?

Originally Posted by ajack View Post
I think Nokia will port Harmattan to the WP7, MeeGo is dead to Nokia... The N9 is just a face saving exercise and the N950 is just the older designed "original" N9 that operators rejected and that they have a ton of them in a warehouse somewhere.
Hinge issues, not operator rejection.

They're giving the few of them out to developers, but missing the ball on selling them.

There are a difference between Meego and Bada/WebOS... the latter are exclusive and proprietary stuff, the first is open and (theorically) vendor-independent.
I think that if some other vendor (LG?) will adopt Meego, maybe in the future there will be the remote possibility to see another Nokia Meego device; otherwise the platform will dead and no other meego at all.

All this IMHO...

The Following User Says Thank You to meegolinux.it For This Useful Post:
Posts: 147 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by sethstorm View Post
Hinge issues, not operator rejection.

They're giving the few of them out to developers, but missing the ball on selling them.
While I'm not suspecting the existence hinge issues, I'd have thought the company that made the E7 (such cool and sturdy hinge) could've fixed an issue like that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Aonsaithya For This Useful Post:
Posts: 159 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Romania, Cluj-Napoca
Given the fact that MeeGo will be used for disruptive technologies, and if the N9 is a success, YES, Nokia will release another MeeGo-related devidce. That's my thought.

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
I've read [most of] the EPIC N9 anticipation thread. I watched the speeches live from Nokia Connection, and I heard Elop say "MeeGo" once (or was it twice?) but I also heard him say "many features from the N9 will live on in WP7", implying that MeeGo at Nokia is dead. Yet I also saw the chart showing continued (if reduced) investment in MeeGo by Nokia.

Like many of us here, I don't have much in the way of actual facts about future plans for Nokia/MeeGo, but I'm very interested in seeing it continue.

So I ask: will Nokia release another MeeGo device after the N9?

For the purposes of this question:
  • I don't count the N950 as I'll never get one (and most likely neither will you).
  • Let's assume Harmattan is MeeGo and that the N9 is a MeeGo device.
  • If you have facts/rational analysis which leads you to believe that a MeeGo successor to the N9 is coming: please share it here.
  • Edit: as pointed out by excelar8; this poll might as well be EPIC
  • Edit2: to keep gerbick (or anyone who got lost and ended up here on their way to /b/) happy, sarcasm quotes have been added to the word EPIC in the thread title

Of course it will. It will be a phenomenal success, and it was Elop that has been pushing N9 to come out. They will treat Meego/Harmattan as a boutique niche that one day explodes on its own. It will all depend on the sale of this device. Simple as that. If it doesnt sell, no more Meego devices from Nokia. If it sells, you will see them with and without keyboard

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
Of course it will. It will be a phenomenal success, and it was Elop that has been pushing N9 to come out. They will treat Meego/Harmattan as a boutique niche that one day explodes on its own. It will all depend on the sale of this device. Simple as that. If it doesnt sell, no more Meego devices from Nokia. If it sells, you will see them with and without keyboard
Account pwned? Missing <sarcasm> tags?

Or do you mean this?

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
I do mean it. I am buying two of the N9s. Red and Black. Red for Mrs, black for me

I think releasing a single core with no Flash and possibly no FM TX RX suggests Nokia are trying to make sure it will not be a success and so there will not be a N10.

What's the betting 3 months after the N9 hits the shops a WP7 phone arrives with dual core/flash/FM TX RX and Elope can then say this is why I dropped meego.

Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
What's the betting 3 months after the N9 hits the shops a WP7 phone arrives with dual core/flash/FM TX RX and Elope can then say this is why I dropped meego.
With WP Nokia got one supplier, Qualcomm and just some SOC's to chose from so not much guessing there.
Dsmobile has been saying for 2 months that there will be look wise exactly the same looking phone as N9 released on the first wave of Windows Phones by Nokia.

My answer was Yes - but I'm running on pure hope

Got nothing to back it up, but i see there being still some hope for MeeGo phone next year. it is quite hard to argue against naysayers though.

Last edited by tissot; 2011-06-22 at 19:57.

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
. it is quite hard to argue against naysayers though.
I am hardly one of those have I have not complained about anything N900 related, but just been here before with all this hype.

If Elope is going to support meego why didn't he bring out the phone with a dual core rather than last years CPU?