Poll: What are the feature you consider top-of-the-line in N900?
Poll Options
What are the feature you consider top-of-the-line in N900?

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Re: Is N900 the best smartphone Nokia ever released?

No its not.

Its the best smartphone anyone has ever released.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Somehow everybody I know who has a device keeps insisting the screen size isn't an issue, and somehow everybody else keeps insisting it is.

I wonder who's better qualified to judge?
Clearly the ones who doesn't have it, the others are biased and need to justify their buy!

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Clearly the ones who doesn't have it, the others are biased and need to justify their buy!
Unfortunately since it's not actually for sale yet, this doesn't follow.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
For you. Personally, I can't stand reading on the iPhone and, no, its DPI is not sufficient for me. Again, please go back to the post I was quoting. I believe the DPI will have an effect for that user.
Consider for a moment that the DPI of the iPhone's screen (~160) is extremely close to that of the popular Kindle ebook reader and the Sony PRS-500/505/700 ebook readers (~170).

As a person that's done a fair amount of design work, 160dpi is MUCH more than sufficient for small legible text. Ysss is right, if there is a threshold, the iPhone's dpi is above it.

I'll bet that the computer that you're working off of has something closer to 80-140dpi, and I'll also bet that you have no trouble reading off of that.

}:^)~

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
Interesting article in forbs talking about Nokias App Store strategy: http://ow.ly/15Q6vc The article has a lot of good strong and accurate points,

Since it is a US magazine the haters are already out in force. Add some comments

Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
"Is N900 the best smartphone Nokia ever released? "

That's the problem, it's a "smart phone". Nokia has officially abandoned the mobile internet tablet platform.
Exactly like I said;

http://arstechnica.com/tags/maemo/20...bile-linux.ars

From the article;

"The tablet concept is not as compelling today in the mobile market where the iPhone and other modern smartphones are boosting expectations. Consumers increasingly demand desktop-like browsing on their phone itself and don't want a secondary handheld device. Nokia's tablets, like the rest of the MID class, exist within the awkward space between cell phones and netbooks. That space is shrinking into oblivion as products on both sides of the divide become better. Nokia's answer is to turn the tablet into a smartphone."

Blasphemy, Blasphemy!

I wouldn't say the tablet is turned into a smartphone completly. Rather the tablet has taken on features of the phone that make it appear like a smartphone

To me a smartphone is a device that doesn't truly do a desktop like experience and usually involves compromises (e.g. no flash on websites on the iPhone). Yet the n900 can still do desktop like things.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Well, the N900 is Nokia's 2009 flagship model...and since the year is 2009, logic will say that the N900 is the best smartphone released at the moment.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I liked the review that said that with the n900 telephony had become "Just another application among many", rather than being the defining feature of the device. Given that the one thing I almost never do with a smart phone is make calls, that's exactly what I need.

Is it the best? Just let me get my sticky little paws on one and I'll tell you.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
If you wanted to make calls, you wouldn't get a smartphone, would you?