Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
Reflashed my device entirely (both firmware and emmc) but it didn't help
Also tried removing some applications but it didn't help either... Damn strange... I don't think its a CPU thing, as sometimes - in BatteryGraph - I can see that the battery drainage is steady even though there's almost no CPU activity at all.

I wanted to try something I saw egoshin suggested in another thread:

Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
In addition I recommend you to run this commands and test it again:

renice 1 `cat /syspart/applications/standby/background/tasks`
renice 1 `ps | grep modest | cut -c1-5`

It should save you a lot of battery over standby. I have increase more then 50%.

(Note: modest renice would work until you call e-mail GUI, after that it reverts back. I am working on it)
But I keep getting errors which says that "cat /syspart/applications/standby/background/tasks" and "ps | grep modest | cut -c1-5" are invalid arguments... Any ideas anyone? I'm practically willing to try anything, I have nothing to lose

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
You didn't mention, did you restore your settings from a backup afterwards?

Many had understood in the past that the restore was bringing back the same problem since the problem was in some setting or corrupted file making the whole reflash moot.

Yea I did restore my settings and I thought this might be what hinders my phone's battery function again, I'll have to check it too - but not now because I need my phone with all the current settings

The high CPU activity seems to come every hour. It could be email trying to sync if you set it to 1h automatic sync.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by efekt View Post
Reflashed my device entirely (both firmware and emmc) but it didn't help ...
And did you restore ANYTHING from backup before testing phone?

Originally Posted by slender View Post
And did you restore ANYTHING from backup before testing phone?
Yea I restored everything back, I was hoping the flashing alone would fix the problem - next step would be flashing (I think this time flashing only the firmware would be enough) and testing without restoring settings...

Originally Posted by bachagabriel View Post
The high CPU activity seems to come every hour. It could be email trying to sync if you set it to 1h automatic sync.
I'm not using emails on my phone

The Following User Says Thank You to efekt For This Useful Post:
Well it didn't help
I flashed my firmware, did not restore a single thing (though most of it is already there, such as contacts and music, because I didn't flash the eMMC), installed only BatteryGraph, but the battery still drains very fast as usual...

I wonder - could the problem be with BatteryGraph?
Anyways, I'll try to reflash again, this time including the eMMC...

Bah... flashing the eMMC as well didn't help too... I didn't restore any setting this time, just flashed the firmware and eMMC and installed BatteryGraph to monitor the battery performance, but still it drains fast.

I thought this might be related to BatteryGraph so I uninstalled it, and installed BatteryEye instead - but still it drains fast.
The problem must be related to my batteries (even though its kinda odd both of my batteries are affected by this at the same time), or in my phone itself (which is more likely, though I have no idea what can cause this)...

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by efekt View Post
Bah... flashing the eMMC as well didn't help too... I didn't restore any setting this time, just flashed the firmware and eMMC and installed BatteryGraph to monitor the battery performance, but still it drains fast.

I thought this might be related to BatteryGraph so I uninstalled it, and installed BatteryEye instead - but still it drains fast.
The problem must be related to my batteries (even though its kinda odd both of my batteries are affected by this at the same time), or in my phone itself (which is more likely, though I have no idea what can cause this)...
Have you tried to use them empty. Sometimes battery meter goes nuts and tells that battery is empty and I'm able to use battery for hours after warning.

Also. I would like to say that see how simple and easy things are when you (first) start from zero level Now we know that problem is not the apps/settings you have installed but maybe some HW(battery or N900) or BME bug you have found.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Have you tried to use them empty. Sometimes battery meter goes nuts and tells that battery is empty and I'm able to use battery for hours after warning.
As far as I can remember it happened once, and the phone turned itself off, so IT IS empty

Also. I would like to say that see how simple and easy things are when you (first) start from zero level
Yea, but starting from scratch means (temporary) loosing all your files and settings, and its pretty annoying to get everything back the way it was...

Now we know that problem is not the apps/settings you have installed but maybe some HW(battery or N900)
I have a strong feeling that this is the issue, though I have no idea of how to confirm such a thing...

or BME bug you have found.
I'm not the first to find it for sure, but I hope it is it because that means this could be fixed rather quickly.

Anyhows, I want to thank anyone who tried to help me so far (and especially you slender ), even though the problem still not fixed - your help did not go unnoticed

I was thinking, maybe the problem is with the battery? Maybe it "thinks" its full when its fully charged, but in fact it isn't? I think I recall there was a way to "reset" the battery's memory (it has some kind of a built-in chip for this purpose, no?), so maybe I could try reseting it and everything will come back to normal?

The Following User Says Thank You to efekt For This Useful Post: