Active Topics

Originally Posted by jstokes View Post
True. But it's not hard to make it use Nokia's libcal.
Though there may be licensing issues when using cal.h ("Copyright (C) 2004-2008 Nokia. All rights reserved.") outside Fremantle/N900.

Code:
Nokia-N800-43-7:~# ls -l /usr/lib/libcal*
I stand corrected (silly me, I was looking for a libcal package, but it's actually in libdsme0).

Last edited by lma; 2010-12-11 at 12:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
There is also the argument that Nokia prefers to encourage contributions around the frameworks currently in development rather than encourage contributions (by opening the source code) around the frameworks that the Nokia software strategy is not interested in pushing anymore.
AKA the same old story.

Drop support for an "old" device and push people to buy a new one = more money for Nokia.

Originally Posted by sivang View Post
the "escalation" policy in brief is as follows: ...
What does this say about Nokia's policy/organisation/motivation? You have to kick their behind multiple times to get things looked at? Or is it a perseverance test - if you're stubborn enough to complete all the steps then maybe they'll reward you by looking at your request?

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
It's a good point, but to me it's almost funny that these apps that are in general not that good are so well protected. It's like keeping dog biscuits in a safety deposit box.
It's probably because the code for these apps are atrocious, which is why they are not that good, and hence they want to keep the crappy code secret

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
I find it funny that you mention RedHat, considering they do practically the same Nokia does. (They have large closed source software comercial offerings
Interesting, any examples, links?

but it is usually presented as a opensource friendly company because they use and, more importantly, contribute to open source projects. Like Nokia).
As lma says, Red Hat is notorious for for buying closed source software with the express intention of turning them into open source (and hence benefiting their competitors).

The Following User Says Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Iirc, one nokia engineer claimed the dmse is still closed because they are embarrassed about its quality...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tso View Post
Iirc, one nokia engineer claimed the dmse is still closed because they are embarrassed about its quality...
Yeah I'd heard that about a few packages.

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
So... status of Maemo: EMBARASSING?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
Interesting, any examples, links?
Check your copy of the "Linux Applications" disk.

Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
As lma says, Red Hat is notorious for for buying closed source software with the express intention of turning them into open source (and hence benefiting their competitors).
And I understand that, as lma mentioned exactly the piece of software I had in mind, which has been opensourced.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
When it comes to product development the guys deciding on the Nokia investments and the plans to convert them into benefits conclude that having a Nokia proprietary layer is better for business than not having it. Looking at the market and at the business results of companies shipping devices with 100% free software I can't deny that they have a point.
I assume this refers to Openmoko? While there are many reasons that project failed commercially (mostly boiling down to "not deep enough pockets"), none of them are that the software was too open. Are those guys saying that it would have been more successful with a proprietary layer, or that a completely open MeeGo product is doomed to failure? With no disrespect meant, isn't it the job of the open source advocate to correct these misconceptions?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Openmoko bombed because it was only 2g in a world going 3g. Had they dropped the mobile radio fully i suspect it could have gone differently...

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
There was OpenMoko and there were/are others device makers putting all the stress in software freedom - with no remarkable impact in the mobile market whatsoever. But what is more important: do you have a more convincing business model for a company like Nokia? Taking into account that there are competitors out there that would clearly benefit from a 100% free & reusable UX experience in Nokia products.

Originally Posted by lma View Post
With no disrespect meant, isn't it the job of the open source advocate to correct these misconceptions?
You just pushed a misconception yourself, assuming that Nokia business planners have such misconceptions about OpenMoko.

The job of an open source advocate inside a company is to help the company's objectives by pushing open source software and open development when/where it matters.

The Nokia N900 is still the most open handset you can buy from a major vendor, and the MeeGo platform is shaping up as the most open mobile platform any mobile vendor can use. Things could be still better from the point of view of software freedom... However, I honestly believe that the many open source advocates inside Nokia are achieving something useful for the free software community - and the company hiring them.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: