Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
NO, absolutely NO WAY to do it.
But maybe if you read each single of the 617 posts here, you will find the hint.

Doh!
He asked the same thing last week when you also had to show him the way

Seems like there is a band of brothers including him, seanmcken etc who seem content to post in such a manner

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
hahahah i think if i try again and again and again then they creat a easiest way for me
i see a post john the ripperhere i think it help if yes so how?

Originally Posted by jedi View Post
I already changed the "Root" to "root", but as I said before it doesn't appear to be a valid code. John the Ripper can't crack it...
Hey Jedi, good to see you still around!

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
You know, now that John The Ripper is in the repos, someone could easily make a small package (even GUI one if they want to get fancy) that lets people recover their own lock codes, with just one command/app-icon click.

No more users who chose-to-not/can't figure out how to recover their code needing to wait until another user comes along and spends the time on cracking it for them.

Before people start going "N900 would take too long to crack", etc: today I've JTR'ed two hashes on an N900. While it certainly took longer than on my laptop, it was a little bit over 20 minutes each, the first one took 23, the second, 20. (and the code involved in each was 10 chars, which really means 8 since DES truncates everything after the first 8 anyway, as I understand it).

During the first one, I did some browsing of this forum from the N900 doing the cracking for a little while, turned screen on fairly regularly to see if it was done, etc. A lot of the time was still spent with screen off and no perturbances, but some mild use happened. During the second one, I left it practically undisturbed.

The recovered code was the same each time, though the hashes were different (guess they're getting salted). So this isn't a perfect test. But my point is that, while definitely longer than the same crack running on desktop, it's not really in the ridiculous and not-worth-using range. A typical user can run the thing in the background and stick their phone in their pocket while they do their work, go to sleep, or even fiddle with their N900 a little, and their code will be ready for them with a much faster turn-about than asking people to do it on here.

Side note: if you drop the 'tail -n 1', you can see that every time you change the lock code, the previous hashes persist. So you can see the unhashed 12345, then whatever the first lock code was, then the next, etc. I presume this is a consequence of the lock code being in the cal area, i.e. on the NAND chip with no hardware wear-leveling, so Nokia probably made their cal-writing stuff write sequentially rather than in the same spot. If that's the case, by the way, then it makes sense that if a device has had the code changed enough times, it will loop back around. If so, then we'll have some devices where piping the grep output to tail -n 1 will no longer produce the latest lock code's hash.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Hey Jedi, good to see you still around!
Yup, I've switched mainly into lurk mode now that this place has been over-run by those kids with their new-fangled N9 things.

The Following User Says Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
hi Mentalist Traceur please tell me mathod to recover my code on my device thankyou

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by sunyakram View Post
hi Mentalist Traceur please tell me mathod to recover my code on my device thankyou
Please read this thread from the beginning!

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
You know, I am very big on helping people, but some individuals... *Sigh*

Originally Posted by sunyakram View Post
JIyp7rccm1lu2
This the hash you wanted help with?

Try 786699 as the lock code.

And in the future, bear in mind that had I not been very stringent at acting in line with my ethics, you might never have gotten anyone to help, because you ask for things in a way that shows you either didn't read virtually anything in this thread, or that you didn't understand it if you read it (which would be fine, had you clearly articulated why you couldn't understand the content of this thread, and tried to fix your lack of understanding).

Method to recover the lock code was explained within the first 30 posts of this thread, fyi.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Furthermore to add to Mentalist's explanation (which I totally agree with), I like to add that I also will not help anyone recover his lockcode withot showing at least a minimum of proove of "this N900 is my belonging" (which has been a habit here, but seems to be forgotten).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
SOmebody help me..gimme my code My hash is rooti.d4Bz9uGgVQ:

Tags
devicelock, nokia n900