Originally Posted by LouisDK View Post
Unlike Ubuntu Phone and Tizen they've actually had the courage to release a phone to the market.
Meizu will launch an Ubuntu pre-loaded version of the MX4 before the end of the year, and distribute the ROM to existing MX4 users. No-one knows how far Ubuntu Phone will come before November / December, but even if it is extremely ropey now, how many people looking for an 'indie' / real Linux phone are going to choose the Jolla over a superbly designed (and cheaper) Meizu with specs literally 3 years ahead of the Jolla?

Going with a low quality, low spec, completely bespoke phone was such a huge mistake on Jolla's part. They could have got any one of dozens of high quality Chinese flagship phones rebranded, or put in slightly different housing for less than the cost of what they have now, had a massively better product and sold WAY more.

Imagine if it was them either rebranding the MX4, or Meizu offering a Sailfish ROM instead of an Ubuntu one? Old Nokia diehards would go bananas and carriers would probably be much happier to overlook Sailfish's wrinkles.

Re: Tizen. I suspect that Samsung's Tizen smarwatch will ship more units than the Jolla will in the entire course of its lifetime. The two Tizen phones launched in Russia undoubtedly will.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2014-09-22 at 15:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
you know and i know that jollaphone is a deeply unattractive price already given the hardware it incorporates.
Hardware isn't everything. I know of another company that just started selling a phone with similar specs for a higher price, 1.4 GHz dual core ARM, 1 GB RAM, 4,7" screen, NFC but not for general use.

They call it the "iPhone 6".

Hardware specs are fine for comparing uninspired Android phones with one another, but not phones running different OS.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Is price confirmed? 13k INR in dollar or eur? Is it subzedized or locked in anyway in India? By vendors or networks? How does the market work?
Price is not confirmed yet But the thing is, people here are so much obsessed with Android and nobody knows what Sailfish is. And without advertisement, what is the point in launching something alienish in a competitive market?

13k INR = 213.150 US Dollars. You think it is too less? Well, you'll get a Xiaomi Mi3 for 13.9k INR with better specs and probably a better hardware, and MIUI Xiaomi followed the flash sale thingy on Flipkart for 5-6 times and ~20,000 units sold off in mere seconds each time (less than 4 seconds). After that, they temporarily discontinued the sales to promote Redmi 1s (with specs similar to Moto G and price lower than Moto E) which was sold out like hot cakes too

How does the market work?
Android, quad core, apps and price tag controls the market.

http://www.snapdeal.com/offers/jolla

Last edited by ranbaxy; 2014-09-22 at 17:02.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ranbaxy View Post
Price it below 13k INR, and sell a few units. Or else RIP. Personally I don't think Jolla will stand a chance against other players in Indian market. It is too damn competitive here and a new OS which nobody knows is not gonna make a mark. Sorry.
So how is any of this different from the European market?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
So how is any of this different from the European market?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Hardware isn't everything. I know of another company that just started selling a phone with similar specs for a higher price, 1.4 GHz dual core ARM, 1 GB RAM, 4,7" screen, NFC but not for general use.

They call it the "iPhone 6".

Hardware specs are fine for comparing uninspired Android phones with one another, but not phones running different OS.
Seems like a bit of a disingenuous example. Jolla can't underspec and inflate the price of their products in an Apple-like way.

Besides, that 1.4Ghz dual core is ARMv8 and MASSIVELY more powerful than the one in the Jolla, and more than adequate for an OS which essentially lacks multitasking. Same goes for the RAM, which is at least LP DDR3 rather than ancient DDR2-800 in the Jolla. The 4.7" screen, whilst certainly not as good as some of its competitors is nevertheless a good quality Sharp/JDI 720 panel ... the one in the Jolla is a hopelessly cheap bottom of the range Taiwanese one. They do both share cheaper Chinese batteries, at least.

To state the obvious, Jolla can't rely on a gigantic cult like following (with almost no price sensitivity) built up over the course of 3 decades, and an incredibly tame press to overlook any deficiencies in hardware relative to the competition.

Anyway, the point is that you don't have to look at a spec sheet to realise the Jolla is low specced and poor quality. It looks cheap, feels cheap, the screen is very obviously low resolution and is the worst I've seen on any remotely expensive smartphone in terms of daylight/outdoor visibility in the last 3 or 4 years. The camera produces poor photos in ideal conditions and is practically useless in challenging or low light. The phone begins to slow down very noticeably when a few apps are open and media takes a while to load / buffer. Fit of the battery is poor and TOH provides no environmental seal at all.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2014-09-22 at 17:54.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Love all the action in this thread given we don't have any info and price. intact, we don't know a ****.

While a price drop in India result in a price drop in Europe? How long could jolla go to get sales?

Jolla phone paid for itself yet?

Either way. Vote here:http://m.linuxjournal.com/content/re...ards-2014-poll

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-09-22 at 21:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
As stated, unless a carrier places a big order (unlikely), I doubt they have much room for manoeuvre re: price. Price will probably continue to gradually fall, but it'll never be a value for money phone.

Re: the poll. LOL. They have Ubuntu for Android listed ... it ceased to exist, what, 12 months ago, or more than that?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
My issue really isn't with the price per se, it's with the fact that it will not work in the US any faster than 2G - the lack of radios being the problem.

For that price, I'd like to have 3G at least when I'm not in the office or home and therefore using wi-fi. The lack of specs folks are pointing to are also running extremely bloated OS's. Sailfish OS is very optimized. Jolla seems to be very proud of that fact and it shows, imho.

But as it goes, it's hard as Hell to launch anything in the US. Carriers have way too much power and control, folks are fickle and easily led and you'd have to pay top dollar just to be on a shelf that's near eye-level. Glad to see that this thread has some rather impressive and level-headed thinking - bluefoot, you're definitely the catalyst for that.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Jolla price their phones at what people are prepared to pay for a unique phone. They don't need to be competitive with Android phones or iPhones. It's not a difficult concept to grasp surely?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post: