Hey guys,

So as this is my first post I obviously have come here with a problem

My n9, which I bought in may, has taken to display a white/grey screen.

At first I noticed this with the clock that appears when the phone is locked. The screen would flicker white, but was fine when unlocked.

So I turned the clock off (so when I lock the phone I dont see the time anymore) and continued using the phone for a month/2 months.

Until yesterday.

I was charging my phone and saw that the screen was flickering white again like before. (with out the clock being on)

So I turned the phone on, and now 95% of the screen is a
white/grey colour. With only the top notification bar visible, so I can see battery, mobile network, time etc.

The strange thing is, is that when booting I see the nokia logo for a split second before the white takes over. And there is a very faint outline of the icons on the homescreen if you look hard enough.

So my question(s) is, has anyone come across this before? Failing that, would it be worth a reflash? Or am I in RMA territory?

I'll update with a picture of the problem too.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
While i await your picture, my first thoughts are that your screen has been damaged either with water, moisture etc or some physical damage on it...

I don't think a reflash would solve the issue but you may want to try a reflash first refer to the comprehensive flashing guide: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82693

If the reflash still gives the same result you are having hardware issues...

Thanks for the quick response

Instead of being just a white block, its flickering now (this just started)

I've gone one better and got video instead, http://youtu.be/KNFxxmWiq3s

Regarding damage, I havent dropped it, or got it near any liquids. It started with the lock clock a while ago but only now migrated to the whole phone.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
well you can try a reflash as that would give you a better idea on if it can be a software issue but IMO after watching the youtube video, its a hardware issue with your OLED screen...

yeah you need a new phone asap

Posts: 88 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Czech Republic
For cases like this I have three pieces of Nokia N9

Oh well, to the RMA fun time party I go

Thanks guys.

Sure looks like a hardware issue. The flickering can be caused by insufficient power supply to the LCD.
You could try to open the phone (relatively easy, check the vids on YT), disconnect the ribbon cables and re-attach them.
This issue can be caused by the Graphics card as well (thou I doubt it), so don't jump to buy a new screen.

Reminder: if you attempt to open the phone, power it off before.