Active Topics

hey guys i want to know what you think

I have an n810, for almost a year, I got it as soon as it came out,
and i just started college, and I contemplating on getting an hp 2730p ( a tablet pc) I wanted to use my n810 for educational purposes but have so far failed to do, and I am an engineering/computer science major and so a tablet would be great for my math & science classes. But, I have been thinking what will happen to my n810 and if its really necessary for me to get the tablet pc. At times, I feel it is, but other times i feel as if im being you know..

any thoughts (sorry if i make no sense

Since you will be taking engineering classes you will probably benefit buying a tablet pc (mainly for the programming courses you will be taking since you will be able to install them) as far as as note-taking, if the tablet pc can outlast 3 hours before a charge is due, then that will be your main buying point. You can still get the HP and alternate using them for light days to heavy studying, reading a pdf on a tablet pc is much easier than on an N810.

I don't think you can really compare the Internet Tablet to a tablet PC or laptop. You can't put a tablet PC in your pocket. And some applications you either can't run on an IT or it would just be impractical, like Photoshop for instance. It's like a hammer vs a screwdriver.

The Following User Says Thank You to pope523 For This Useful Post:
I agree. battery life on the n810 is awesome, i also have a tc1100 with the crappiest battery life ever. i use the tc1100 for note taking, and reading documents/textbooks. Now with the n810 i can easily read pdf files and books on pdf format, taking notes on it is almost impossible when you compare it to the larger screen a tablet pc gives you. so my ideal setup is to run a combination of both, n810 cant run mathcad but the tablet pc cant do 5-6 hour battery life and be portable as hell.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
For a tablet pc, i think 4-5 inch screen is perfect. Bigger screen will surely got more scratches, and damage in pocket (if it even fits there)

I f i want fast and x86 computer i would buy laptop instead of a tablet. Both big tablet and laptop will still need their own bag, but tablets screen is easier to brake anyway...

motion ls800 is pretty small... 8" screen and it's not a touchscreen so you don't get the vectoring problems.
Bad part about that is that it's very outdated, i think it runs on pentium M. but if youre looking for a tablet as a notepad i think this would fit, should run engineering apps too, at least older versions. my old tc1100 ran matlab and mathcad just fine.

thank you for answering guys. Yeah thats true I was a bit worried that I wont find use for my n810 as much or that having both would overlap too much. I have also thought about it and I want a convertible the new hp series is a business model so they are very very rugged. That of combining is probably the best thing I can do.

I wasnt trying to compare them, I just want to make sure that I would have logical use for both of them

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
I turned off my N810 a week or so ago, after not really having used it for another week before that (since I got my G1). The G1 has pretty much replaced everything I used my N810 for.

For bigger tasks, I'm getting a Raeon Everun Digital Note (via work), and today Engadget announced the CTL 2Go Tablet (convertible tablet netbook with Ubuntu) to be available in mid-December.

I'll most likely get the CTL for my personal use, as I very much want a convertible tablet netbook with vendor supported Ubuntu on it. I mention that because of the picture you gave, of a convertible tablet. I haven't run Windows in ... 6 or 7 years, and I don't plan to go back now :-)

IMO: Nokia missed their window of delivering an HSPA equipped tablet in time to capture my dollars. Why wait for the N900's HSPA capability when I can have a G1 now? Sure, the screen is smaller, but it does more of what I want, is always connected, and I don't have to carry multiple pocketable devices (NIT + Phone, for example). And, most importantly, it's here today. I have no doubt that any missing pieces the G1 has will be filled in long before the N900 is delivered.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
The G1 has pretty much replaced everything I used my N810 for.
One of the things I value is that the NIT browsers display the "real" version of most websites.

Does the G1's browser show the real version of PayPal, for example? Or does it show the crappy mobile version which is missing options that I need (such as the ability to refund a payment).

And, I presume the G1 browser doesn't allow the User Agent string to be customised?

Regards,
Roger

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
IMO: Nokia missed their window of delivering an HSPA equipped tablet in time to capture my dollars. Why wait for the N900's HSPA capability when I can have a G1 now?
Seems Nokia missed this window not only for you, but for a lot of people. "Nokia N900" is among the top 3 search strings now for people that came to my blog from google. "N810 successor" and variations of it are in the top 20. I didn't publish anything recently about N900-speculations, my last article dates back to May.

Personally I think I'll really wait because I don't like Google as a company, I don't like the licensing in Android and I don't like the technical concept of it. Also, I feel emotionally attached to the Maemo community in a way, so I think Nokia should at least have a chance to convince me whenever they ship the next model.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post: