Notices

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Austria (no kangaroos over here)
You will find "Google Latitude Updater" in extras-devel.

I'm also not a fan of sharing my location generally (that's why I don't use an iPhone ), but if it's restricted to defined friends, it would be useful if there is no need for another app (epecially if it uses the same basics - google maps).

CU - M_99

Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by M_99 View Post
You will find "Google Latitude Updater" in extras-devel.

I'm also not a fan of sharing my location generally (that's why I don't use an iPhone ), but if it's restricted to defined friends, it would be useful if there is no need for another app (epecially if it uses the same basics - google maps).

CU - M_99
I will have a look at it as soon as I am done with the "basics".

My maemo work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by fcrochik View Post
I didn't think of Google Latitude...

I don't see why not.... It is probably quite easy... Has the googlelatitude garage project already produced an application?

I don't particularly like the idea of sharing my location information so I will not spend much time creating but if it is easy enough I will be glad to incorporate it to geeps.
As an option please, for those like you who also don't feature sharing their there.

SLN member # 009

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
I do understand your point but I am afraid out of all the applications mine is the one that we won't be able to integrate to the others.

I believe all the other applications (even the ones using google data) render their own maps. Geeps uses a web browser (webkit) and leaves all the rendering to "google".
Ok, that explains it and any other question I might have had about how your application works

You also need to keep in mind that they are not all developed using the same language and may have different goals.

Like you I would like to just have ONE gps application that really works with all included (offline, voice directions, good local business search, integration with other apps, poi....) but haven't found it yet.
Different languages, I know. As opposed to CloudGPS there is ModRana, written in Python and with a lot of features, but unbearably slow...

Different goals? I don't think so. Maybe different priorities, but I would be surprised if the goal is not becoming a good GPS application (and then its not what I'm looking for).

Anyway, thanks for your work!

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
I'm having a hard time installing this. Apman, finds it but says the package is not there and fails.

I used apt-get and aptitude and same problem.

I have the repositories enables.

Err http://repository.maemo.org fremantle/free geeps 0.0.3-1
404 Not Found [IP: 72.246.25.24 80]
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d....3-1_armel.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 72.246.25.24 80]

This link does not resolve either:

http://maemo.org/packages/view/geeps

Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
I'm having a hard time installing this. Apman, finds it but says the package is not there and fails.

I used apt-get and aptitude and same problem.

I have the repositories enables.

Err http://repository.maemo.org fremantle/free geeps 0.0.3-1
404 Not Found [IP: 72.246.25.24 80]
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d....3-1_armel.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 72.246.25.24 80]

This link does not resolve either:

http://maemo.org/packages/view/geeps
The version 0.0.3-1 is not on the repository anymore and that is the reason why you can't download it.

it should work on FAP or the HAM (make sure to update the list of packages first) or try:

on the x-terminal as root:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install libqtm-location
apt-get install geeps
or

download the latest .deb
http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d....0.5_armel.deb

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Austria (no kangaroos over here)
Another feature request
From my own experience and what I read in the threads finding an address from contacts in ovi-maps doesn' work, what makes it quite useless.

Would it be possible to import addresses from contacts to get navigation infos ?

CU - M_99

The Following User Says Thank You to M_99 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
How do you find the version?

geeps -v doesn't seem to do it, or it's not in my path.

How do you go back to your location?
How to zoom?

n/m these, found first Post entries...

More questions I'm sure.

A help section(commands) and about section might be kewl up top?

Last edited by les_garten; 2010-10-20 at 16:29.

Can't wait for the next version - this app is definitely up there with fMMs and the like.

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
does it voice navigate