Originally Posted by inte View Post
Let`s come up with some facts:

- Elop is a former Microsoft employee. It is very well known what kind of brainwashing people get at Microsoft, so it is very obvious that Elop will not change his mind about the Nokia-WP7 strategy.
- It is also a very well known fact that Microsoft really hates Linux and would take any effort to destroy any open-source movement where ever possible. Thats also why Symbian is no longer Open Source.
- MeeGo, especially if it would have been released on the Intel/Atom platform, could become a big threat to the Windows Desktop. MeeGo (wich IS in fact Linux) would have reached a wide distribution throughout all user types (not only geeks), which would have caused companies to port their commercial software to linux, which would then also run on the Linux Desktop (if the Nokia MeeGo device was Atom as it was originally planned). This would eventually lead to gaining numbers of MeeGo desktops - directly attacking the Microsoft Windows desktop. Microsoft will not let this happen!
- Why pay the full price for a company, if you could get it for the half? Since Elop became CEO at Nokia, the Nokia shares lost more then 50% - all within a few month.
- Elop is still working against Nokia. Shares gained some value again a day after the N9 was presented to the world. Elop leaked the WP7-prototype video the other day and stated in a Finish newspaper that the N9 will definitely be the one and only MeeGo phone by Nokia, even though if it would become a success. In conclusion, Nokia shares started falling again.
- Nokia has already canceled contracts with many Linux support centers, e.g. the one in Nuernberg, Germany. This indicates that the N9 will never become available in Germany.
- Nokia has sourced out Software/Symbian developers to Accenture and sold the Qt-rights. Furthermore, the Nokia MeeGo development unit will be shut down in June 2012. It is very likely that Nokia was forced by contracts with the MeeGo alliance to produce at least a single working end user device.
Nokia has also sourced out the production of the first WP7-phones to an external company.
- Elop contracts is limited until 12/2012,
- I`m not sure if that is of any importance: Jorma Ollila will leave Nokia mid 2012.

These are the facts. In my opinion, a buyin by Microsoft is therefore becoming very likely and will rather happen even this year than next year:
- Nokia already got rid of uneccessary staff such like software developers and Qt-rights (which could have become subjected to an anti-trust investigation).
- the Nokia shares are on a level at which Microsoft could easily afford a buying in.
- In case of an anti-trust investigation, WP7-devices won`t be delayed since they are produced by an external company.
- Microsoft has announced tablets under their own brand. They desperately need a premium hardware producer such like Nokia to build these.
- I think it could be very well possible that Elop will seperate and outsource the S40-series to an external low-budget producer soon. In that case, Microsoft will get all they really need: a premium hardware producer, maps and communication data and loads of patents to fight Apple and the others.

Even if it was fact that Nokia launched internal investigations against Elop - that wouldn`t change anything. Balmer would rather buy Nokia today as letting them changing back to MeeGo/Linux tomorrow.

These are my thoughts and I have absolutely no idea how Nokia could be saved. If the Nokia shares would suddenly gain power and start rising, Microsoft would probably buy in instantly. Nokia is at a point now where they HAVE to obey Microsoft or die.
Brilliant analysis!

To further undergrid your point that it is really all Microsoft's dirty tactics to destroy a free software friendly Nokia, take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb_beDIaa1w
This was 4 years ago, when Microsoft "just began". Their fight against "us" is now at a whole new level...

By the way, I suspect that this was started way earlier than with Elop. There must have been some pressure on the Nokia board by Microsoft starting a long time ago to make this all happen.

Last edited by lohner; 2011-06-27 at 00:47. Reason: typo

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Hi there.

I have so many questions for you.

But let's just start at point number one. Can you provide some backup to this 'fact': (links or urls are preferable)

It is very well known what kind of brainwashing people get at Microsoft, so it is very obvious that Elop will not change his mind about the Nokia-WP7 strategy.
Let alone your inference that higher-ups in MS also get 'brainwashed', even though Elop was there for relatively brief period.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Hi there.

I have so many questions for you.

But let's just start at point number one. Can you provide some backup to this 'fact': (links or urls are preferable)

Let alone your inference that higher-ups in MS also get 'brainwashed', even though Elop was there for relatively brief period.
If I may try to answer this...

"brainwashed" I think means:
  • Being on a different business model than free software companies (like e.g. Google, altough this is not the perfect example, a better one would be Red Hat)
  • Having to sustain the business model to survive
  • Therefore having to fight free software, because it is the biggest threat to their existence (they make all their money with Windows and Office)
  • Read for example "The cathedral and the bazaar", search for Eben Moglen or Richard Stallman talks on Youtube if you like to dig into this deeper

Doesn't it seem logical, that under these conditions, every employee gets a different kind of world view than a free software hacker?

The Following User Says Thank You to lohner For This Useful Post:
I have found one link for the "All Microsoft profits come from Windows and Office" fact:
http://madhatter.ca/2011/02/17/micro...arter-numbers/

The Following User Says Thank You to lohner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
(if the Nokia MeeGo device was Atom as it was originally planned)
That's Ilmatar. Harmattan has targeted OMAP3 since Harmattan was Maemo 6.

- Nokia has already canceled contracts with many Linux support centers, e.g. the one in Nuernberg, Germany. This indicates that the N9 will never become available in Germany.
You seem to be implying that Nokia won't sell a Linux-based device in a country unless they've established a special Linux support center there. Am I misunderstanding you?

- Nokia has sourced out Software/Symbian developers to Accenture and sold the Qt-rights.
Nokia sold the commercial licensing rights, yes.

Furthermore, the Nokia MeeGo development unit will be shut down in June 2012. It is very likely that Nokia was forced by contracts with the MeeGo alliance to produce at least a single working end user device.
I've not heard the phrase "MeeGo alliance" before. I like it. Very science fiction.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Can anyone show me anywhere, where it is proven that Nokia had some kind of contract with Intel or any other group associated with Meego to release a Meego phone?
This keeps getting stated as fact but i'm yet to see anything to back it up. Would love to see something solid to support this as opposed to opinion and fud

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
Can anyone show me anywhere, where it is proven that Nokia had some kind of contract with Intel or any other group associated with Meego to release a Meego phone?
This keeps getting stated as fact but i'm yet to see anything to back it up. Would love to see something solid to support this as opposed to opinion and fud
I think that people are getting "relationship" mixed up with contractual obligation. I don't recall seeing an official contract for them to release anything. It was just an alliance from my take.

However, 3rd party reports do say contractual obligation but don't exactly back it up.

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Aaah. The old "3rd party report"....
I took the unusual step of spending time exchanging emails with the editor of a web based consumer site in an attempt to correct some of inaccuracies in a piece they did about the N9 and Meego.
The basis for the "facts" they included were from 3rd party reports via Google.... nothing as substantial as press releases that actually came from Nokia....

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
There is lowest category, which is around 20-30e (you might have never seen such device). This is what sells on Africa and some of the Asia.
at the moment yes, but in the future? absolutely not. s40 etc is the most affordable way of getting internet among the people of Africa etc.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
So s40 is gonna be the new smartphone platform? That's interesting. One thing is for sure, there are a lot of things happening inside nokia we know nothing about.
actually there is a lot happening out of your sight, but still completely publically inside nokia.

http://www.nokia.com/NOKIA_COM_1/Mic..._datasheet.pdf
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:

Tags
elop is nero, elopocalypse, king tomi, nero fiddling