A client at my work lent us some lost property phones to do some testing with. They reset all devices to factory settings but didn't with the N900 (probably as you have to manually flash the firmware on it). I cleared the personal data and had a look to see how the device had been customised. It hadn't.

It saddened me to think there are Maemo users out there who:
  • haven't installed Power Kernel and overclocked it
  • haven't dual booted into NITDroid
  • haven't installed Easy Debian and ran OpenOffice, the GIMP, etc
  • haven't played with swappolube or any kernel settings
  • haven't modded Ovi maps
  • haven't enabled the Extras repo to see what's available
  • haven't run a SSH, web or FTP server
  • haven't installed Windows 95 in DosBox
  • haven't tried the Community SSU
  • haven't installed any apps at all!

It reminded me why I bought my N900 in the first place and how important being able to tinker is to a device. I was thinking I may get an Android device later this year but now I know I want something that allows be to "rm -rf /" if I want to.

Really hope Nokia release a worthy successor to the N900. In the mean time, I think it's time for me to install MeeGo.

Is there anything else I'm missing out on trying with my N900?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dave1010 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
I took off Power Kernel and Easy Debian.
Didnt install Windows in Dosbox, or web/ftp.
No need to mod ovi maps, I rarely use it, when I do its not really for any "useful" purpose, just "because".
Havnt used NITDroid

Oh well.

The Following User Says Thank You to azkay For This Useful Post:
Well, some people have decided against buying a N900 exactly because it has the reputation of a linux geek phone. On the contrary to your post, I find it kind of sad that people didn't realize how N900 is a great phone for the average user as well, much much better than Symbian phones because of the fast and good looking OS. And not harder to use in any way, and no linux skills required whatsoever.

Well, used to be anyway, I guess nowadays Android has finally caught up and seems to have a brighter future than the N900. N900 used to be #1 phone for quite some time though, in my opinion.

Last edited by Juhgu; 2011-03-14 at 23:22.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
You don't seem to have nine windows, aren't using the Garnet Palm emulator, haven't tried HiveMind, don't mention Backupmenu, don't mention the Fcam group of programs.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
@Dave1010, well, my N900 is also "underused", but I won't say "underappreciated". I don't have much understanding on coding stuffs so it's a big risk tinkering with those 9 areas you mentioned because my N900 serves as my primary phone. I'm using whatever is on the download repository/Ovi Store only.

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of users out there who appreciates the N900 without the tinkering. And I know it would be a lot more fun if we knew how to do it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joseph.skb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
I was at a fundraiser recently and saw a girl take out her N900 to text someone. I went "wow the 1st person I've seen with the same phone as me, lets compare apps". She had NEVER connected it to the net, not even wifi. PR1.0 and stock apps, used as a phone / SMS only. Shocked didn't cover it...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnLF For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
No need to be saddened by half of those. Most aren't necessary for full enjoyment of the phone. To this day I haven't seen the need to over-clock, and you're talking to someone who is more than happy to fiddle his N900 to death.

Same with Easy Debian. I'd rather just figure out how to compile Open/Libre Office to run natively on the N900... not that I'm of the skill level to do so, but I'm steadily working my way up. (Currently I've , compiled myself Aircrack-NG from the code on their SVN repositories, and a couple of other things like xdotool and that one change-r&d-mode-flags-from-device program Qwerty wrote.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
No kidding, many are just attracted by its look.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
or its great hardware keyboard!

these people are the reason why Apple is making tons of money!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:

Tags
awesome, modding