Notices

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help.. my USB socket has just decided to come unstuck from the motherboard and, rather fortunately, I'd ran backup (using the native backup utility) last weekend and, with about 15 seconds to spare before the battery died, managed to copy the backup to my PC.

While I can browse the folder, unfortunately I don't know how to access the .db files, which would be extremely handy to get at my contacts. Does anyone know what program would open these (for either Windows or Ubuntu) please?

Thanks!

Alan

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
The contacts db is a so called BerkelyDB file, try to open/import
the file with "evolution" on ubuntu.
And I think there was another thread about extractinct the contacts
from this file, don't remember atm.

nicolai

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
The contacts db is a so called BerkelyDB file, try to open/import
the file with "evolution" on ubuntu.
And I think there was another thread about extractinct the contacts
from this file, don't remember atm.

nicolai
Short answer: 'db4.7-util'

Long answer:
On the N900, you can install db4.7-util_4.7.25-21_armel.deb from Debian "Wheezy" armel repository, and then use 'db4.7_dump' to export information.

On a host PC, use the correct architecture for the package, accordingly to your installation. Should be in the main Ubuntu repositories too.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2011-09-22 at 08:31.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 48 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on May 2010 @ malaysia
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Short answer: 'db4.7-util'

Long answer:
On the N900, you can install db4.7-util_4.7.25-21_armel.deb from Debian "Wheezy" armel repository, and then use 'db4.7_dump' to export information.

On a host PC, use the correct architecture for the package, accordingly to your installation. Should be in the main Ubuntu repositories too.
This may seem to be a dumb question but i cant seem to find contacts.db in my Backups using the native backup.