Active Topics

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by droll View Post
excellent! the pins are disabled when USB is connected. aaaaaaaah.

slightly off topic question: if the back power pins are disabled, will a TOH with a spare battery be impossible to charge when you plug in the wall charger? or is the reference in IRC only for input power pins?
The answer from IRC only covers the wireless charger + usb cable test so I don't know. This is why we really need the official specs from Jolla.

Edit: juiceme has the answer for you

The Following User Says Thank You to skvark For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by skvark View Post
EDIT: And you have to glue a plastic pin like in official TOH's to the panel next to the battery so the microswitch will trigger. Won't charge without it.
Actually that's not true. It charges without the pin too (took it off to test again). Hmm..

Posts: 433 | Thanked: 727 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Costa Blanca, Espaņa
This is brilliant stuff! I'm really impressed and excited by this!
@skvark - I downloaded and printed a copy of your 'other half', it came out really nice, but sadly, it doesn't quite fit the phone in the length.
It was that tight that it started to bow the phone so off it came!
I used Netfabb Basic to cut a section from the lower half of the model and stitched it back together in Blender.
I'm going to my friends tomorrow to print it off, hopefully it won't be so tight!, perhaps we have some settings wrong on my mates printer, but when we measured the model the dimensions were as you set them.
Has anyone else experienced the same thing?, I've added 1mm to the length of the model to compensate but I will also check the software for the printer again.
Any info appreciated.
Regards
Mark

Originally Posted by Markkyboy View Post
This is brilliant stuff! I'm really impressed and excited by this!
@skvark - I downloaded and printed a copy of your 'other half', it came out really nice, but sadly, it doesn't quite fit the phone in the length.
It was that tight that it started to bow the phone so off it came!
I used Netfabb Basic to cut a section from the lower half of the model and stitched it back together in Blender.
I'm going to my friends tomorrow to print it off, hopefully it won't be so tight!, perhaps we have some settings wrong on my mates printer, but when we measured the model the dimensions were as you set them.
Has anyone else experienced the same thing?, I've added 1mm to the length of the model to compensate but I will also check the software for the printer again.
Any info appreciated.
Regards
Mark
I'll look into this, but it seems there's about 0,4 mm error in the model length and PLA (if you used it) tends to shrink max. 1%. I'll keep you updated.

Posts: 433 | Thanked: 727 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Costa Blanca, Espaņa
I'll look into this, but it seems there's about 0,4 mm error in the model length and PLA (if you used it) tends to shrink max. 1%. I'll keep you updated.
Thanks for replying. Yes, PLA was used and I understand what you're saying about shrinkage/tolerances.

I will post back later tomorrow after another printing session!

I did some measuring with the CSD tool (= phone is in airplane mode and I have turned the tohd.service off). Charging current under the 70 W lamp stabilized to 50-60 mA and some spikes go to 70-80 mA. If the CSD tool can be trusted (and the panel is actually charging the phone, like the phone and the tool says), there should be about 1% more battery every ~30 mins. To confirm this, I ran a short test:

I started testing at 18:00 (battery level was 85 %). Strange thing is that the UI does not update the battery level without a reboot (bug?). So I rebooted the device couple of times during the loading period. After every reboot there's was always 1% more battery level. Reboots were at 18:45 and 19:45. After the second reboot device reports battery level of 87 %. So getting 1% takes more than 30 mins.

Some conclusions:

- the 1W (125x36mm) panel is enough to upkeep the battery level and to charge the phone very very slowly (under a lamp, sunlight it would be maybe 2-3 times faster)
- for faster charging more efficient panel is needed

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
So getting 1% takes more than 30 mins.
Or not but the reboot sucks some juice. Not sure about Jolla but on N900 a reboot always does.

- the 1W (125x36mm) panel is enough to upkeep the battery level and to charge the phone very very slowly (under a lamp, sunlight it would be maybe 2-3 times faster)
- for faster charging more efficient panel is needed
125x36mm = 0.0045 m2. At full sumlight that should receive about 5W of energy. The best solar panels have about 20% efficiency. So it is not even theoretically possible to get more than 1W from a solar panel of that size without revolutionary technology advances. Sorry.

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Austin, Tx
very cool stuff

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Or not but the reboot sucks some juice. Not sure about Jolla but on N900 a reboot always does.

125x36mm = 0.0045 m2. At full sumlight that should receive about 5W of energy. The best solar panels have about 20% efficiency. So it is not even theoretically possible to get more than 1W from a solar panel of that size without revolutionary technology advances. Sorry.
Reboot propably sucks some juice yes. I was referring to this post: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...78&postcount=7

The panel size is actually 125x63 (made a typo, not 36mm), so it gets close to 2W.

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ poor Slovenia
Just for imformation:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1485#Technical_Details

This one is only 0,77 mm thick!

The Following User Says Thank You to matimilko For This Useful Post: