So I am trying to tether my N9 with my Macbook air and for some reason it won't connect to the internet. It only shows up as a device, and I think thats the problem. Any idea how can i tether to my macbook air?

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Switzerland
I'm also using OSX. I don't think tethering is possible with Mac. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. Did you ever try to use Wi-Fi hotspot? I travel quite often and always use that method which works very well (make sure you protect your hotspot with a secure password!). It's not as practical as tethering though.

N9 hotspot operates in ad-hoc mode, device nowadays isn't accepting adhoc connection to internet as standard...

Android, WP (and iOS?) creates hotspot using infrastructure mode..

if anyone can help me providing this package at this thread...i can perform the testing on N9 to create hotspot using infrastructure mode : http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84991

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
I don't exactly understand your problem, but have you tried downloading Nokia Link for Mac? I am using Windows 8 Beta but I saw that it works with Mac, give it a try
Good luck

I was thinking of making video and posting it on YouTube for the uses of the N9 Tethering (Enabling, rerouting it etc) because I am seeing in quite a lot of places where people are having a hard time with the tethering.
I was struggling for far too long, so I want to stop others suffering (Maybe "Suffering is too bold... FRUSTRATIONS lol) hopefully it will be helpful

EDIT: Ill post the link here like in the next 2 days

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to super-hero For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Switzerland
Would be great! I had problems with NokiaLink on my OSX 10.7 since its first version. Tethering didn't work therefore and I haven't tried it anymore since then (actually removed NokiaLink from my system).

Yes I have tried the Nokia Built in hotspot application and it seems to work fine windows computers but not any other devices such as itouch, Sony Tablet S, Xbox 360, Playstation 3 etc. You can't use Nokia link to tether, as far as I know, to tether because it's a primitive piece of software just for transferring media. Nokia Suite is incompatible with Mac's so can't use that either.

I know the reason is due to the different modes of tethering. N9 uses Ad Hoc and it's a pain connecting to other devices.

soryuuha that would be great if you could write an application that uses the infrastructure mode because that would open up so many more possibilities with the N9.

Super-Hero, a video would be great to show how to tether with a mac!

Here you go

Originally Posted by somedude View Post
Here you go

Hey Thanks for the pictures but could you maybe describe it in a little more detail? Like when I connect it to my MBA do i sync and connect? and then just go on from there or do I need nokia link etc...

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by somedude View Post
Here you go
I don't suppose you can elaborate?
That doesn't make much sense to me.