Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
I'm like a super analyst or something
Well most analysts aren't actually very good at predicting what will happen, and this is just a prediction by an analyst, so yeah, maybe you are just like one.

I was listening a radio program* a while ago and they had a short section an the accuracy of the pundits that make predictions on what will happen, and what they found out was that on average these so-called "experts" were as reliable as a chance alone, but when broken down it means is that a few good ones are better than a random guess (but only on their narrow field of expertise) and the rest were actually worse than random chance. So, if you want to be better at making predictions than your average pundit you'd better brush up on your dice rolling skills.

*For the record I think it was More or Less on BBC Radio 4 last Autumn, I've had a look back at their show notes and can't find mention of it, but it was only a short piece so might not have been mentioned. I should actually find a good reference to back this up because it is particularly relevant with all the wild Nokia speculation currently going on.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:

The Following User Says Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
Anyone realize that these are mearly rumours and speculations.
WP7 on Nokia is what you may have speculated, but there is no confirmation. (I hope there isn't cause Maemo's awesome enough to be made into something more phoney = a la MeeGo)

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
I would think the "logical" deduction from:
QT runs on Windows
Microsoft announced Windows on ARM

= Microsoft programs (office) on Meego ?
And by the way, didn't they announce a tighter relationship a while back regarding office tools for Nokia platforms...

Given I predicted this exact outcome I feel I'm allowed to gloat and yes rub it in your faces(you know who you are) so all hail the wise and all powerful Oz-.....err Slick!D
This exact outcome? You predicted gadget sites would specuate that Nokia would adopt WP7?

Now if that speculation proves accurate, yes, you'll have the right to gloat, although us UNIX fanboys will likely be too busy crying to notice. But if it's wrong... man, are we gonna laugh essential portions of our anatomy off at ya!

Kudos for sticking your neck out, I guess.

I think a more realistic assumption might be that Microsoft could port their WP7 interface or application-compatibility to Meego/Nokia. Nokia -could- make a WP7-based phone... but they don't need nor want it. Especially since Symbian seems better than WP7 and costs less than a WP7 license ever could.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Given I predicted this exact outcome I feel I'm allowed to gloat and yes rub it in your faces(you know who you are) so all hail the wise and all powerful Oz-.....err Slick!
err, what exactly are you rubbing? has something really been announced?

I already predicted in 2008 that you will come here in Q1/11 and make a fool of yourself....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
LOL so the rumors are taken as facts. Although Nokia + WP7 would make a hell of a phone once WP7 has matured (if it ever will) it is not happening anytime soon, and never with the current MS licensing regime. We will see Nokia tablets with Intel running MeeGo and we will see smartphones with ST Ericsson U8500 running Symbian. We will see Qt.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I predict that within 5 years Nokia will see great changes and it is so great that this will shift their strategic position against apple and google. people will see Nokia differently after this and it will garner great response from the blogosphere.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
Well most analysts aren't actually very good at predicting what will happen, and this is just a prediction by an analyst, so yeah, maybe you are just like one.

I was listening a radio program* a while ago and they had a short section an the accuracy of the pundits that make predictions on what will happen, and what they found out was that on average these so-called "experts" were as reliable as a chance alone, but when broken down it means is that a few good ones are better than a random guess (but only on their narrow field of expertise) and the rest were actually worse than random chance. So, if you want to be better at making predictions than your average pundit you'd better brush up on your dice rolling skills.

*For the record I think it was More or Less on BBC Radio 4 last Autumn, I've had a look back at their show notes and can't find mention of it, but it was only a short piece so might not have been mentioned. I should actually find a good reference to back this up because it is particularly relevant with all the wild Nokia speculation currently going on.
I assume someone deleted the post because I can't find it and I'm not surprised I can't. I made the posts during a time when tensions ran high and people were hoping off fences left and right.

Any non positive comments made towards nokia were recieved with hostility, but in these 2 post you can get the gist of what I was saying. Oh and if you question the hostility and deleted post claim, check out the tags on the thread from the posts I linked.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=40
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...4&postcount=65

R.I.P. Maemo 5
11/16/2009 - 06/04/2010

Tags
biggest dork, biggest loser, c u next tues, i hate you, kingfish, rub my dick, slick=thick, trolololololo, wayne ker