Active Topics

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Moar pogo-pins on the back! Especially headphone L/R pins!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
A proper name other than company name. JPhone is not a suitable name in the long run. Other than that, would love to see a keyboard built in but that is a no go it seems.

This is third thread about jPhone ll. Expect a list of 20 more before release.

I don't expect a jphone ll since I can't see how jolla can survive with current setup? My guestimate is too low sales for 100 employees. Do jolla pay with its own shares?

I would love to see another Sailfish device. Anything would do.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-02-19 at 18:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
Moar pogo-pins on the back! Especially headphone L/R pins!
That is actually a HW development that I can agree to!
Who really needs faster CPU and all that crap, HW extensibility is much more important!

And that is also something that is easy to do, there is not that much competition in the arena from other manufacturers...

if memory serves well, the 2nd device to be presented in 2014 should be a cheaper one without TOH (!)
appeal to the masses, remember?

the initial batch (50'000 pieces) got them between 20 and 22½ millions € (either 400 or 450 € / pce)
any further batch will get them 20M - minus manufacturing costs, of course

how to make it cheaper?
  • symbianesque resolution (640x480)
  • only front camera (if any)
  • 8GB internal storage
  • 512MB memory
  • no 4G support
  • did i already mention??? no TOH / NFC
    also due to / for a smaller device w/ cheaper case...
  • as TOH is dropped, would it make sense to create a monoblock device (also cheaper)?
  • would make sense however to keep the same SOC / CPU / GPU to save on dev cost / time, no?
so, yeah, maybe hardware keyboard (any?) TOH isn't really top of the priorities right now.
except colors - masses are sensible to fashionable aspects ¦-)))))
EDIT: which would be in favour of a back cover in different colors... :-\
EDIT': on the other hand, cost of changing tooling / design would be in favour of keeping the same dimension & form (i.e. a removable back, battery & all)

Last edited by misterc; 2014-02-19 at 19:18.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
if memory serves well, the 2nd device to be presented in 2014 should be a cheaper one without TOH (!)

the initial batch (50'000 pieces) got them between 20 and 22½ millions € (either 400 or 450 € / pce)
any further batch will get them 20M - minus manufacturing costs, of course

how to make it cheaper?
  • symbianesque resolution (640x480)
  • only front camera (if any)
  • 8GB internal storage
  • 512MB memory
  • no 4G support
  • did i already mention??? no TOH / NFC
    also due to / for a smaller device w/ cheaper case...
  • as TOH is dropped, would it make sense to create a monoblock device (also cheaper)?
  • would make sense however to keep the same SOC / CPU / GPU to save on dev cost / time, no?
so, yeah, maybe hardware keyboard (any?) TOH isn't really top of the priorities right now.
except colors - masses are sensible to fashionable aspects ¦-)))))
EDIT: which would be in favour of a back cover in different colors... :-\
EDIT': on the other hand, cost of changing tooling / design would be in favour of keeping the same dimension & form (i.e. a removable back, battery & all)
Honestly if that happens, I seriously doubt many people would be buying that, unless if the phone is extremely cheap (maybe cheaper than Lumia 520 or similar Android phones)..

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
CEO said about week ago that second device will likely come in 2015 as they concentrate on developing the current one and making it more widely available.
There was talk about cheaper device, but that interview came out before current Jolla phone was even announced, so who knows have those plans changed.

I never remember reading about anybody straight out saying next one would not have OTH?

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Since my Jolla is on jollacare hospital I use N9 with sailfishos. And I must say N9 is perfect HW design and sailfish on it is definitivly an upgrade of harmattan. Except the fact that NFC/GPS not working and UI lags cause of the GFX driver. And ofcourse swipe bug.

Actually I would not mind if Jolla released N9 lookalike phone but that we can forget.

Btw. if rumor is true about an android device from nokiafail its bad that will for sure hurt Jolla and also feed Microsoft with even more money

Instead that ***** company should have released a upgraded nokian9 with a better GFX and sailfishos! But thats also something we can forget.

So my guess is IF Jolla get a chance to release a second phone 2015 its probadly similar as of today. Maybe better screen but probadly same design as of today. Means to big for many.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2014-02-19 at 19:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 488 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ USA around Chicago
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
A new Jolla has to support currently unsupported 3G and 4G frequencies (like used in US). That would be my number one requirement. Even if they don't go for selling it there, they should support it.
I have been using my Jolla for over 2 weeks in USA now. I have to say, I am loving it even with the 2G connection. I have wifi most of the places that I go to so, it hasn't been much of a problem yet.
It is going to be a problem when I need to travel or stay outdoors for longer time.

So I agree. They must support 4G LTE and 3G all bands and frequencies. That is the only request I have. That will make this a perfect phone.

Everything on the phone works great. Battery life is very good also. The main problem I had with my N9 (maybe the only one that made me put it down), was the sudden drain of battery bug.

I am still hoping that the 4G LTE bands are there and when they enable LTE, my phone will magically connects to my T-Mobile LTE.

Edit: Oh. I forgot. LPS screen. I miss that very much also.

Last edited by abyzthomas; 2014-02-19 at 22:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abyzthomas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,348 | Thanked: 1,863 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ fr/35/rennes
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Other than that, would love to see a keyboard built in but that is a no go it seems.
For whoever cares Hw Keyboard is top of *MY* priorities ... what about yours ?

https://purl.org/rzr/abandonware

Please help to list all maemo existing apps :

https://github.com/abandonware/aband...ment-578143760

https://wiki.maemo.org/Apps#

I am looking for " 4 inch TFT LCD display screen " for Nokia n950 HandSet

http://rzr.online.fr/q/lcd

Also, I need online storage to archive files :

http://db.tt/gn5Qffd6#

https://my.pcloud.com/#page=register...e=g8ikZmcfEJy#

The Following User Says Thank You to www.rzr.online.fr For This Useful Post:
i'd like to see:

qualcomm 410/610 http://www.gsmarena.com/qualcomm_ann...-news-7337.php (64bit & OpenGL ES 3.0)
2GB ram
4.7" 720p screen
in a chassis the same size as the current model

i think TOH is a bit pointless, but not point throwing away all that investment with v2 if they are serious about it.

Last edited by Jedibeeftrix; 2014-02-24 at 16:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, jolla 2